Ultimate Subaru Message Board

snorkel

suby man 16

As far as i know there is nothing made for subarus. Theirs a weber adapter that i've seen pictures of. Shadyirshmen had a nice one for a jeep that he mod'ed to fit his ea82 wagon. I went to homedepot and got some tube and made my own. If you search for snorkel's you should find. some pictures of different styles.

heres mine. The intake is really loud so i ran it farther back so it was behind the drivers window. I Also built a screen to keep water out of the filter.

1525Picture_008.jpg

• 1 month later...

ive looked into this some and if you get one for an early 80's toyota pick up, you should be able to modify it some to work right.... you just have to pay the cash for it, its not cheap... thats the only drawback....but, other than that, i used some shop vac tubing and some pvc pipe for one before, worked out quite well, the downside to that was that it kinda killed the breathability of the motor. it had problems getting to and staying at highway speeds, not that it didnt before, but the snorkel only made things worse. that was on a ea82 wagon though, dont know how it would do with an ej motor. might have to try it sometime...

• 2 weeks later...
This is what we done to a mates car for a snorkle. It's a 2" pipe welded up with a proper snorkle top. The EA82 now uses a modded EJ22 airbox and filter, and a weber

suby%20snorkle.jpg

Now that is saweet! How does it run with that?

He says it runs pretty bad because of the cool air the jetting is wrong.. But I'm thinking maybe it's just hes using some weber off a 4L engine with what ever small jets he could find.. I can't really say anything though as I haven't driven many EA82's and this is the only one with a weber (I think it's a 34/34. Hes got a better one to go on, a 32/36.)

Hes also gone and siliconed EVERYthing under the hood.. He took a plug lead off the other week and after a deep water splash it was running of 3. So I think his silicone works, it's just not service friendly.

I used to think snorkels were not needed for the amount of money/work you put into them.. Then I came across a water hole that I didn't want to do because it was as deep as my air intake.. He probably would of went thorough no troubles.. So maybe it's time for a snorkel.