Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Join us for a Vintage/Historic car cruise 6-9-07

Has anyone here ever wished there were a few events each year where you could join like minded individuals on a historic car road rally or simply a backroad driving tour with your early Subaru?

Well this Saturday, June 9th, about a dozen of us upstate eastern New Yorkers are doing just that. We will be meeting at 10:00 am at a friend's farm in Kingston, NY. We will be driving our '79 and older historic cars on a 65 miles tour through the twisty backroads over the Mohonk Mountain, through Minnewaska and onto Ellenville, followed by some spirited driving over the original Ellenville hill climb run. We will pause up at the top of Mt. Cathalia where the former Ellenville Hill Climb used to be run in the 60's and early '70's. Then it's back on the road up to Cragsmoor, down into Walker Valley and back to New Paltz through more twisty roads. We will finish up at the Gilded Otter in New Paltz for lunch. They have a brewery on site and reasonable lunch faire.

otter-logotype-180.gif

Is there anyone here that would like to join us? Please contact me at 518 674-0520 if interested in going along for full details. I know it's short notice, sorry about that. There is no charge to go along with us. This is a free event. I'll be driving my '77 Datsun B210. C'mon Subie drivers, we need more '70's Japanese cars to come along. :)

Mike

We do similar cruises regularly. We're a group of old car enthusiasts of all makes and models who actually "drive" their cars daily or otherwise.

We meet as a group for breakfast at our house and then head north. Sometimes we have a destination (a show), or just meander. It's fun being the leader, you can stop wherever!

At mid-day we stop for lunch, then basically just drive a scenic route and whatever looks good is a good place to stop.

We all have radios and communicate whenever necessary <change of plan... someone needs to hit the head, needs a coffee, etc.>. When the cruise is nearing the end, we decide where to go for dinner... usually our house for BBQ :)

Very relaxing... my favorite days, I love it.

Thanks for the replies. Your tours sound great too. Is there an email list I can join to possible be invited in future meets like you described Seahag? I'd love to join you all.

Our event was really outstanding yesterday. We put it together on short notice but most people's weekend's in June are pretty spoken for this time of year. Hence we had only four cars and six members attend, but we all really enjoyed it. Like I said earlier, I'd love to see some Subies out with us in the future. We're planning another event like this for the Fall. Here's a little photoshop collage one of our members put together last night showcasing the highlights of yesterday's excursion.

June92007Composit.jpg

There is much more detailed coverage of this tour, including photos with informative captions under them on our message board here.

Cheers,

Mike Kamm

A.M.E.C. Historic event director