Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just Finished Off Road Buggy

jbain8

I don't know why but I don't have permission to post a pic so please go to the photo gallery under JBAIN8 and check out the pics of the offroad buggy built by a good friend of mine. It all started with me showing him a pic of Sweet 82's buggy along with some pics from the Rhino Buggy website and six months later when I get back form deployment (I'm in the Navy) this was the finished product. Mine is next and it's going to be Suby blue with a yellow cage and all the cool suby decals. To answer the questions I know are comming the nose is short because the radiator is in the back. The pic on top of the cars was not staged it did climb up there on it's own (lincoln locked in the rear) all the parts come from a carbed EA82 and check out the full suby dash with working speedo, tac, and all guages. So please let me know what you think.

Mike W check out the link in Sweet 82's post to go to other pics, as for the T-case I am actually researching that right now....I'm definately going with it and since the frame hasn't been started yet It'll be easier to fabricate. No kit Brian just a couple guy's and a fab shop making it up as they go. You might talk him into building you the cage and then you just bolt on your parts.

I meant even more pics please. Ya' know like more of the underside, the inside, what's under the skin panels, etc. Just so we can see how he did stuff.

A turbo crossover pipe would help eliminate those vulnerable y-pipes. Other than that I like what I can see.

I'll talk with him Mike and see if he has any photo's of the buggy before sheet metal and I'll have him take some more of the inside. Last night he sent me the picture of the black one that they just finished and took out on it's maden run....they rolled the tire off the right front. This is my first time trying to do an attachment so if it doesn't work just look in my gallery I put it there also. The nose on this one is a little longer because they opted for the radiator in the front to make room in the back for a passenger.

post-21072-136027623157_thumb.jpg

Hey thanks for the pics! That is nice work and I like the way they did things. Throw one of those on a trailer and bring it out West for the Show. And start taking orders! Any plans for a shippable kit? I bet there's a US market for that, especially if it was as affordable as some of those sandrail frames I've seen.

Hmmm, wonder what they'd build using Legacy/Impreza drivetrain and suspension parts?

I don't think it would be all that expensive to bend up and weld the pipe expecially if you built a jig. I'll have to talk with him and see if I can get him to shoot some video and send it to me and maybe I can post it.

This whole thing started because I'm not a big fan of ATV's....it just seems to me if your going out to have fun that requires your fingers to be wrapped firmly around a steering wheel. So I started my research...I looked at the chinese stuff and it looks like it would last about a week in West Virginia before it was scrap metal. So I looked into the rage buggies and one seater stuff that's run off of a motorcycle engine. It looked fun but you can't take anyone with you....so I found the Rhino Buggy like Sweet 82 has but I picked the Stalker style and I ordered the plans. I showed the plans to my buddy and he really liked the Suby concept but not so much the buggies looks. I'm in the Navy so I deployed overseas for six months and when I got back him and my brother had set down and came up with this. The first generation one didn't look so good it didn't have very much rake in it and the body was all metal and weighed alot. This is the second generation buggies and they are already working on a third generation with a larger wheel base and maybe some flat fenders up front. I've got them looking at putting a small bed on the back like a Rhino has so it can double as a farm buggy when it's not busy on the ATV trails.

What size are the wheels on the yellow and red buggy? And did they come 4x140 stud pattern or did your mates drill them out as that stud pattern?

I was thinking of building a buggy, but I'm thinking more on the solid axle rock crawler style. I need something under 600kg though because I want to tow it legally behind the Brat.

I was just thinking that a kit where the tubes are bent and maybe some joints welded, but still still shippable sized pieces. A lot guys have welders and some skills these days. But even a basic bender and skill use it...not so common. A weld it yourself kit for under a grand would be cool.

I mentioned the Legacy/Impreza platform because that opens the door for WRX axles and bigger tires & transfercase.

The rims are 12 x 12 blanks they had to drill them out the tires are 26 inch ATV tires. As for a weldable kit for under a grand I'll talk with him and see what's up.....it would be nice to be able to own a nice buggy without spending a ton of cash doing it.

Ok guys here is what I'm thinking for my own rig.....start out with a donor 90-94 legacy EJ22. I'll use the engine, dash, wiring harness and engine cradle. To mount the cradle instead of putting a lift on the buggy I'll move the cradle up 5 inches to allow an axle up front using an EA81 crossmember and control arms (moved forward about 12 inches to improve approach angle and the lower crossmember will act as a skidplate for the oilpan/exhaust system.) I'm using the 81 stuff vice the 82 because I've read that the mod is easier with the 82 stuff....but what about the legacy stuff how are those axles? With the engine up higher it will allow the transfer case to be installed higher allowing for more ground clearance and of course improved gearing. The buggy will be lengthened about 2 feet and widened at the rear to allow for a rear seat like Sweet 82 has in his buggy. I would like to use an Automatic instead of a standard for crawling purposes and I've read all about the 4EAT modified to lock up. I understand that most don't like the auto's because of gearing but doesn't the tcase and a big trans cooler fix that issue? Or is there a better auto out there that would work better? This buggy is a blank slate and the guy's can make it work so let me know what you think......Jer

90-94 legacy EJ22. I'll use the engine, dash, wiring harness and engine cradle. To mount the cradle instead of putting a lift on the buggy I'll move the cradle up 5 inches to allow an axle up front using an EA81 crossmember and control arms (moved forward about 12 inches to improve approach angle and the lower crossmember will act as a skidplate for the oilpan/exhaust system.) I'm using the 81 stuff vice the 82 because I've read that the mod is easier with the 82 stuff....but what about the legacy stuff how are those axles? With the engine up higher it will allow the transfer case to be installed higher allowing for more ground clearance and of course improved gearing. The buggy will be lengthened about 2 feet and widened at the rear to allow for a rear seat like Sweet 82 has in his buggy. I would like to use an Automatic instead of a standard for crawling purposes and I've read all about the 4EAT modified to lock up. I understand that most don't like the auto's because of gearing but doesn't the tcase and a big trans cooler fix that issue? Or is there a better auto out there that would work better? This buggy is a blank slate and the guy's can make it work so let me know what you think......Jer

sounds great, I would use all the Legacy gear, and grab another 4.11 rear diff for up front,or grab 2- 4.44 diffs , the legacy front suspension arms are much stronger and your not stuck with the old 4 bolt pattern , auto should be fine

Thanks Scott, so what strut has the most range? What would you use if you didn't have to worry about mounting issues? Also I'm going to try and make this thing street legal.....Virginia is pretty easy on "Specialty Constructed Vehicles"