Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wheel bearing question

Hey Nug:

For maximum life, it's always best to use high quality US or Japenese made bearings.

However, if you have a strict "service schedule" mentality, you can go with the cheaper ones, cause you'll be changing them out before they crap out on you. This would be a car you want to keep long-term, and maintain meticoulosly. Not too many people do this.

In either case, you'll have enough of a warning to prevent a catestrophic failure. The noise is a dead giveaway. One word of advice: be very careful about using axles interchangebly. Yeah, they work, but they are not all the same legnth. If your bearings are wearing out prematurely, it might be because the incorrect axle is putting extra strain on the bearing.

good luck, John

That link shows 3 bearings for a dodge stealth. And they are all $40 bucks? what are you talking about. When I've bought bearings from the dealer before they were about 50 for both at each wheel. Are the $8 ones an Ebay item? Are you looking at the seal?

Edit in red: Duh, cookies on my putre from a previous search

BTW what year/model are we talking about here?

Worked for me; I followed the links to an '87 gl and it came up with a range of bearings from $8.29 to $30+.

That link shows 3 bearings for a dodge stealth. And they are all $40 bucks? what are you talking about. When I've bought bearings from the dealer before they were about 50 for both at each wheel. Are the $8 ones an Ebay item? Are you looking at the seal?

BTW what year/model are we talking about here?

I have used SKF bearings in other applications without issue. I think I'll pick up a set.

Alleyboy: This car has 167k on it, and I believe many of them were abusive. No premature wear, I think.