Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Worth Buying another Loyale

I am looking into buying one of the later loyales I think it is a 90s one. I have heard that parts are getting harder to find for those things and I was wondering if it would be better to switch to a early legacy.

What do you guys think? Also what are some good newer models? I have only focused on the 90s and before models so I dont really know of the quarks of the later models. I have heard that Subarus between 95 and 2000 had a lot of head gasket problems and thats about it.

Thanks for your time

(I lied, its a 88 so 2 years older then mine, but so much less rust, and a dented hood. I plan on getting a new hood there is a nice one in the junk yard.

lots of excellent newer soobs and they come with air bags and anti lock brakes if you like that stuff. if you like offroad or snow capability the older generation stuff is easier to play with...with locking the center diff on a manual trans PT4WD loyale and all. and you can easily get a clutch type rear LSD too.

headgasket prone motors are the EJ25 1996-2002, do a search for more info, there's plenty on here that it doesn't need to be addressed here.

price range is huge here, there's just no way to compare a 1990 loyale to a newer legacy, you could be talking a $5,000 price difference so you really need to narrow your choices down some.

the older loyale's aren't that hard to get parts for at all in my oppinion and they're EA82's. if you did a really thorough tune up, you probably could get 120,000 miles out of a nice condition, inexpensive loyale with only a timing belt change every 60,000 miles. they are very reliable. at this age you're likely to deal with a wheel bearing going out, alternator, battery, etc. minor in my oppinion, but stuff like that is more likley the older vehicle gets.

avoid rust, it's really really annoying to deal with, rusted bolts more so than rusted body parts.

in the $2,000 - $4,000 price range you can get a really nice EJ22 engine in a Legacy or Impreza, that would be my suggestion. the EJ22 went to an interference design in 1997 so if that bothers you get one that's 1996 or older.

an 88 with an airbag? loyale's don't have airbags, is it a legacy?

loyales are good cars, so are newer subaru's, just depends what you're looking for and what you're in the market for. keep the loyale or legacy from overheating and running out of oil and they'll outlive the rest of the vehicle given proper maintenance.

Ok... There's a few thing's wrong with your post! Ok it's not a Loyale because the Loyale dident come out untill 89 maybe 90 and the Loyale does not have air bags! So if it is really an 88 it's ither a GL, or Leone.

But most likely it's a Legacy! And it's probely an 89.

This is a Loyale! And part's are not rare!! Try Rockauto.com ton's of part's!

Picture003.jpg

Do more research!

You won't see an 89 model year legacy in the states. It may have been manufactured in 89, but rest assured it was marketed as a 1990. Legacies did not have airbags untill 1992.

Also, for an 88 model, it will either be a GL-10, GL, or DL. Parts are not that hard to find really, most auto parts chains will have parts for them either on hand or in the warehouse.

Oh, and Leone was their name in the overseas markets. Not here.

DO YOUR RESEARCH, LOL

Mechanic said it was a 88 (Might be wrong, I havnt looked greatly into it cause I am working on getting the money), it does have a airbag, as for the whole loyale/GL thing I consider the GLs loyales since the body and the insides look pretty much the same and if you go to a place like Autozone there system doesnt always have GLs in there but have the loyales. It is NOT a legacy. As for the guy with the picture the car looks pretty much like that but with rims that say subaru on them (kinda a gold color)

Are you sure it doesn't have "airbag" supension... There is no way in hell an 88 has an airbag unless somebody stuck a 92+ legacy steering wheel on it. In which case its useless.

Um Im not completly sure the mechanic knew the right year, It is most likely not a 88, but it does have a airbag.

Either way I will look into it more and get some more detail on it then I will update this thread.

So no loyale, GL, DL EVER had a Airbag?

Well considering the loyale is the same car just a different name for it... No. NO ea82 bodied car EVER came with an air bag.

The only way ea82 body car will ever have an airbag in the steering wheel is if somebody bolted on a 92+ Legacy steering wheel.

Yeah that must be the case. Somebody put a 92+ Legacy steering wheel on it! Yeah i know the Leone was an oversea's model Japan, Austrailia, But may be someone imported it to the US? Anyhoo I)arkZrobe why don't you take a pic of it and post it on here??

Then will all know:grin: Later, Tom........................................

The only way ea82 body car will ever have an airbag in the steering wheel is if somebody bolted on a 92+ Legacy steering wheel.

even if someone did this(which I doubt) there would be no control unit or sensors to activate it. I think you are being B...S...ed by the seller. No Loyale/Leone/GL or any EA82 ever had an airbag

Well considering the loyale is the same car just a different name for it... No. NO ea82 bodied car EVER came with an air bag.

I was gonna say "and may God have Mercy on your soul if that airbag is still inside that steering wheel."

Seriously, if that is the case, I would look into making sure that thing was properly disabled and could NOT go off in your face. not a fun proposition, that..

I was gonna say "and may God have Mercy on your soul if that airbag is still inside that steering wheel."

Seriously, if that is the case, I would look into making sure that thing was properly disabled and could NOT go off in your face. not a fun proposition, that..

If they have put it on there, short of a major wiring and sensor installing event it's useless. I said that in one of previous two or three posts about that being the only way it'd have one.

I've unhooked the airbags in a few of the other cars I've owned. Not because I don't like them, they are a good safety device. But I personally know someone who suffered greatly from one busting after it was deployed in a wreck.

The guy is a few years older than me and had perfectly healthy lungs before the crash, after the airbag busted he has severe asthma. The doctors said it was from the chemicals in his airbag. Now if it will do that to a healthy lunged person imagine what it would do to my asthma suffering wife...

You're in Colorado, and you're worrying about parts? Hah. You make me laugh.

Parts are easy to find in Colorado, just gotta know where to look (for you, that's probably trips up to Denver periodically)

Legacy was the first Subaru to have an Airbag. An 88 will NOT have an airbag.

It could have air suspension though, which has four airbags to elevate the car. Is this the case? If so, as long as its in working order your fine. Second it breaks, convert it over to regular struts.

I will take a picture next time I am up there, the subaru in question is a little ways away from me.

Maybe I am imagining the whole airbag thing, but I have seen airbags in atleast 10 other wagons (That looked like a loyale) is there something that was made by subaru that looked like a GL Wagon (Inside and Out) but with a different name.

I will start taking a closer look at all the wagons I have seen with the airbags to and try to get pictures.

The EA82s GL DL GL-10 and Loyale are all the same body styling...I have a 92 Loyale and they did not come with air bags Legacys and Imprezas have air bags..Loyales and GL do not...90 was the first year that an EA82 was called a Loyale...(90-94) 85-89 they were GL DL GL-10s RX ( not available in wagon) The steering wheel of a Loyale is bigger then the GL and could easily be mistaken by todays standard of having an air bag...but they do not.

These guys here know alot...trust them..;)

If the steering wheel looks like this ..there is NO air bag ( this is mine)

MarcusShow002.jpg

Maybe I am imagining the whole airbag thing, but I have seen airbags in atleast 10 other wagons (That looked like a loyale) is there something that was made by subaru that looked like a GL Wagon (Inside and Out) but with a different name.

I will start taking a closer look at all the wagons I have seen with the airbags to and try to get pictures.

Boy, you love barking up the wrong tree, don't you? :rolleyes:

There is plenty of enough experience on this board to tell you something that major does not exist on a certain model line. And if you do find one with an airbag steering wheel, find where the front sensors mount, the airbag wiring loom runs, and where the airbag computer resides... :clap:

Well I dont doubt the experiance of the members, more or less just covering all bases (/me wonders if there is some guy around here stacking on fake airbags steering wheels so they sell better :-p ) Anyway I didnt mean to get people angry at me.

Well I will post pictures of that subaru when I get it (Yes I know it doesnt have a airbag:))

In other news I will be selling my old 86 GL, Anyone Interested?