Ultimate Subaru Message Board

brat gas gauge not working

I've had this same problem with a couple of my cars that sat for a long time. Sadly, only one of them was ever "cured" and I don't know what I did to fix it. You may find that your "low gas" warning light still works even if the gauge doesn't. After driving my car for a few weeks, and always filling the tank completely full, the gauge just started working on its own. I suggest cleaning the contacts where the sender plugs into the harness and just drive it for a while.

I do not suggest trying to pull the sender out of the tank. I tried that once, and ended up with quite a mess. The sender is held on by a bunch of tiny studs that protrude through a flange that is welded onto the tank. There is no real way to replace them if they break, as they were positioned in the flange before the flange was welded on at the factory. I ended up cutting slots in the edge of the flange on mine so that I could slide bolts in, but if I had it to do over, I probably wouldn't have tried to remove the sender in the first place.

Noah - you may just have had a spot of bad luck with your sending unit. I've removed and swapped a couple, and haven't had any problems. If there's a lot of rust tho, you may just want to find another tank. Get the sending unit out at any rate to comapre to the new/used one cause there's several as I said. Some have a rectangular float, and others (specifically, the digi-dash ones - maybe others, I don't know) have a triangular float. When I did my 4WD swap, I fogot to swap sending units, and just recently corrected the problem. The guages read really funny, but they did still read.

GD

Not to hijack the thread, but have you tried putting the pump handle nozzle in as far as it'll go, then pull it out a half inch to a full inch?

My '92 Loyale's fussy like that... if I put the nozzle in all the way, it'll perform the "tank is full, stupid" click and stop... pull it out an inch, and it works.