Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Impreza vs. Legacy ej 22 differences + Frankenmotor reliability

Hiya gang,

I'm STILL on my quest for a replacement EJ22 for my Dad's '95 Legacy with rod knock. In order to broaden my options, I'm wondering if I can use an ej22 out of a '95 Impreza? I gather there might be some wiring differences or the intake might be different... anything else I'm overlooking?

Secondly, what is the long term reliablilty of the EJ25 block + EJ22 heads Frankenmotors? I've got a EJ 25 block with bad HG and some piston slap...could perhaps just use that + the good heads off of the '95 EJ22 to lash something together. Mismatched coolant passages + a high compression ratio don't seem like the ticket to long term reliability...but I'm open to hearing what people's experiences have been.

Nathan

are you sure his is rod knock and not just the oil pump, valve train noise? a few dollars in oil pump seals and tightening the screws on the back of the oil pump may fix it. the backing screws typically loosen up.

other than that, you can swap 95 2.2's. the only issue you may have is the EGR valve. the automatics have an EGR while the manuals do not.

if yours doesn't have an EGR valve but you find a block that does, you'll just have to screw a plug in the EGR port in the head and use your existing intake manifiold. easy. this should be the case if your current vehicle is a manual trans and you use a 95 EJ22 from an automatic.

if yours has an EGR valve then you'll likely want to get a 95 EJ22 from an automatic with EGR stuff on it for a direct swap. technically you could use a non-EGR valve EJ22, by using your intake manifold and probably drilling and tapping the head for your EGR pipe.

if you're willing to remove your EGR altogether, you can really do whatever you want. if you want a very direct swap, check notes above.

if you want to use the EJ25, just reuse the existing EJ25 heads and have them checked and milled at a machine shop. find a local shop that's done some subaru heads and they'll be very familiar with subaru heads. given this type of work, if you can do it, the machine shop doesn't charge much to check and mill the heads. as a last resort, just get a set of EJ25 heads from somewhere and use those.

are you sure his is rod knock and not just the oil pump, valve train noise? a few dollars in oil pump seals and tightening the screws on the back of the oil pump may fix it. the backing screws typically loosen up.

Gary,

Thanks for the quick response. I think it is indeed rod knock. It sounds too deep to be HLA noise and seems to be coming more from the center of the engine. Gets worse when the car is warmed up.

Unfortunately, I went about this project backwards. The clutch in the car started slipping, so I stupidly pulled the engine before I did any real diagnostics on the rod knock. This car does have some pretty bad oil leaks, so perhaps the previous owner ran it low on oil and damaged a bearing? 155K miles. Now that the engine is out, I'd REALLY like to avoid putting it back in to have it chuck a rod in a year. On the other hand, it has had this noise for about a year so far...if it really was rod knock, I'd expect it to have failed dramatically already?

This car is '95 5MT, hence does not have an egr valve.

I don't think I bring myself to install a complete phase I EJ 25 into this car. I am deeply predjudiced against the EJ25. (Let's just skip THAT debate, OK?)

I keep hearing about all these bone-yard ej22s for $250... maybe I'm not looking hard enough, but I can't find anything decent this year for even >$600.

Cheers,

Nathan

The Impreza motor is the same motor as the legacy. As long as you find a manual impreza to pull it from it will be a direct swap. You can use the auto motor, but you'll have to do as gary said and plug the egr hole. The older motor from 90-94 will also swap straight in, but you'll have to use your obd2 sensors.

Storm is working with cometic to have them start making gaskets specificly for the frankenmotor ej25/ej22 combo you're talking about. A set of ej22 headgaskets are on the way to his house as we speak in an effort to make the gasket happen.

• 3 years later...