Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have been offered a free 93 Legacy

Ok I have been offered a free 93 Legacy that actually runs. The guy says it has a couple of dings in the rear bumper but the rest is straight and rust free. Said it runs a little rough. The only Subies I have ever owned and still own are EA71 Brats EA81 Brats and plenty of EA-82 cars. I need to know what kind of problems I need to look for or know about on this particular car. Is this worth picking up? Don't know if it is an auto or stick. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Thanks for the feedback guys. The car is only about 30 miles away. This is not my first free Subie either. I have had more than my fair share of EA71 and EA82 cars roll through my hands for free. A few of those even ran! I will have to go for it I guess. What kind of motor will it have anyway? I am completely unfamilar with this newer style of Subaru. My knowledge pretty much stops with the EA82 cars. Not that I am unwilling to learn about them.

Thanks for the feedback guys. The car is only about 30 miles away. This is not my first free Subie either. I have had more than my fair share of EA71 and EA82 cars roll through my hands for free. A few of those even ran! I will have to go for it I guess. What kind of motor will it have anyway? I am completely unfamilar with this newer style of Subaru. My knowledge pretty much stops with the EA82 cars. Not that I am unwilling to learn about them.

I'm guessing EJ22?

if not that then an EJ18... but i'm almost certian it's a 22....

I'm guessing EJ22?

if not that then an EJ18... but i'm almost certian it's a 22....

Oh yes, it's an EJ22. Arguably the best subie motor ever!

Just get it. Early Legacies are great cars. Very simple and easy to work on like all the EAs, but actually comfy at 80 mph on the highway!

yup, the 93 should be 2.2 and non-interference...

if it runs and drives, snag it up, give it a going over and turn it around for a tidy profit if you dont want to keep it.

if it is AWD be sure the tires are all up to snuff and of the same type/size/wear - the AWD is fussy...

I need to know what kind of problems I need to look for or know about on this particular car.

Only really major things I can think of are:

If its an auto, you might deal with torque bind and duty-c failure, etc. All well covered on this board.

And the second is the crank pulley wobble of death. Everything else is pretty much typical subaru. BC's are pretty easy to work on, even when compared to the EA82. The SOHC engine and suspension layout are quite the joy to work on (*cough* just got done breaking loose and tightening the axle nuts for a simple front brake job on my wagon *cough*).

And not quite so major is shifter issues for the 5-speed. Put on a new transmission mount (preferably the Group-N piece), change out the fluid, and replace any missing shifter bushings and all problems will likely be reduced to insignificance. <-- new word?!? :clap:

bbs.legacycentral.org is your friend for this chassis.

A 93 Legacy will be an EJ22. Bone simple to work on, and the EJ22 is damn near indestructable. The rest of the chasis is also built to keep up with the engine. this engine was actually even better (OK, slightly:rolleyes:) than the EA82, which is a feat in itself.:clap: Get this car, or put them in touch with me and I'll take it.