Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ BRAT's first drive on freeway

s'ko

It drove ok. I think I got a bad wheel bearing that needs to be replaced. (See Old Generation Forum)

Power was nice. I really didn't want to get on it too hard b/c my tranny mounts are pretty fried. I have some urethane and I am going to make me some of those fancy stiff tranny mounts with that stuff.

One thing that I really did like was the dual range FWD option.

As most of your know I seperated the hi-low selector from my EA81 tranny.

One problem that I ran into when doing this is that in hi range, the car tends to slip out of gear and fall in between the hi and low gear and you are dead in the water. Surprised me the first time but know I expect it.

with the tranny in hi gear, EJ18 w/205/80/16 tires was struggling a bit to power the car in 4th gear at around 65. There may be some drag on the car b/c of the bad bearing or bad alignment. When switched to low gear the throttle response was a lot peppier.

Shifting on the fly between high gear and low gear is possible if you put the car into neutral and then select high or low. Then drive as normal.

Will post more when I have more miles under this mod.

BW

One problem that I ran into when doing this is that in hi range' date=' the car tends to slip out of gear and fall in between the hi and low gear and you are dead in the water.[/quote']

I used to have that problem on my ea82 d/r and I solved it by just adjusting the linkage 1 or 2 threads...

with the tranny in hi gear' date=' EJ18 w/205/80/16 tires was struggling a bit to power the car in 4th gear at around 65. There may be some drag on the car b/c of the bad bearing or bad alignment. When switched to low gear the throttle response was a lot peppier.[/quote']

I was wondering how the ej18 would compare to the ea81 as far as power... everybody wants to go ej22, but the ej18's can be had cheap... so would it really not be worth it if you didn't have 2lo?

--Spiffy

I think that if I put it into a stock car, it would do well.

But with a lifted rig, it's not that great. The power is about the same as an EA82T.

Besides I got two EJ18s for 100 bucks. I am considering how to built a turbo motor with the one that sitting in my garage.:banana:

BW

With the ej18 swapped in, you can always easily switch to an EJ22 or an EJ25 if you find one for the right price.

My EJ22 has almost exactly the same amount of performance as the EA82 did... and it's only running on 3-cylinders. Same top speed (95) same acceleration, same bogging and stalling on steep hillclimbs.

This is 100% OT but. s'ko did you ever correct the camber issue on the brat. I mocked up the front 5-lug on a parts car today and toticed that even with the camber adjusted as far correct as I could I still had horrid looking camber. I'm thinking ea82 or xt6 lca's will fix the issue.

Anyways, back OT...

Glad to see its getting you around now. And you might want to look at a thread in the new gen area about making a hybrid ej18/ej20 headed turbo motor.

86BRATMAN: The camber problem sorta still there. I have EA82 control arms w/XT6 hubs and 2000 Outback struts w/4 inch spacer. The camber get all \--/ when I turn the wheels while it is standing still. When I drive, the camber corrects itself and runs |-|. Atleast that's what I noticed when I get out of the car after I am done driving it.

If you are running EA81 arms, I would definately recommend using EA82 ones. They are a direct bolt on.

I looking to either make some custom lower arms. But have to get some non-subaru related stuff in order first. I think it's that thing called LIFE.

I plan to put some 205-55-16 tires from my impreza to see how it handles.:banana: Should be interesting.

BW