Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

MAF cleaning (New gen)

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 wondercow2

wondercow2

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Houghton, MI

Posted 17 June 2007 - 12:00 PM

(I know this covered on a lot of places online, but I think I've got more useful photos here).

A bad or fouled MAF sensor can often cause lower gas mileage and other problems. It may or may not trigger a code in the computer. Cleaning the MAF is easy, and if you do it right, should be a harmless (and beneficial) part of your routine maintenence.

CRC sells a special MAF cleaner (most auto parts stores will carry it) that runs about $6.50 for a large bottle - probably enough to clean the MAF a dozen times.

After 2000 (I think?) Subaru started putting MAP sensors in cars instead of MAFs. If you have a MAP, this is not for you. If your engine bay looks like what's below, read on. The patient below is a 98 Legacy with a phase 2 2.2l engine.

First, unplug the MAF and remove the hose connecting the air filter assembly to the pre-throttle body air chamber. A good tug may be required to loosen the hose. (see photo 1-2)

Remove the air filter assembly by loosening the 2 clips near the fender and pushing the box toward the engine. Set the assembly in a clean place. There's no need to remove the MAF housing from the air filter cover, although there are just 4 bolts holding it on. (photo 3).

Take your cleaner, and spray the MAF element. (Photo 4). Don't let the straw of the can touch the MAF! Don't touch it with ANYTHING. Move the assembly around, making sure you spray from every possible angle. The CRC cleaner dries very fast, so you don't need to worry about wiping the housing down.

Installation is the reverse of removal. Don't forget to put the MAF plug back in before you start the car!

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users