Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Could This be a Catalytic Converter

2002 Forester

Check engine light came on, checked it and is throwing an emmisions trouble code. The dealership is trying to tell me they think it's a bad catalytic converter just based on the code. There is no power loss and/or exhaust system clogging, so I'm not sure how this could be causing a trouble code when it only has 80,000 mi on it. Woldnt you suspect an O2 sensor problem first before a cat? Never heard of one going bad like this.

Yep. Most likely the first o2 sensor. Mom's 98 legacy has an intermittant code, I forget what the number was, for emmisions control. Mechanic had her ready to fork out money for a new cat... I fixed it for the price of the o2 sensor, whatever it was 3 years ago.

Yep. Most likely the first o2 sensor. Mom's 98 legacy has an intermittant code, I forget what the number was, for emmisions control. Mechanic had her ready to fork out money for a new cat... I fixed it for the price of the o2 sensor, whatever it was 3 years ago.

Dang stealerships. Thanks for the heads up guys.

If you get a front o2 sensor, an OEM one is the best bet. Rear isn't so critical on brand. Get it from a Subaru dealer who sells parts online; it'll probably be less than the local dealer. Getting 80k miles out of an o2 sensor isn't too bad.

Also small leaks even tiny unnoticable pinhole ones can cause this code. Though on an '02 you probably don't have that issue.

• 9 months later...