Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'93 Legacy auto "Power" light?

Hey Josh, I did the trans power light check you described on your website, the thing came back with a code 32, VSS#1. Possible that is connected with my initial upshift problem as well? Any idea of: Hom much a VSS sensor is, and: how hard is it to get to the VSS to change it? Thanks again, David.

Originally posted by jamal

Speaking of "power mode," what does it do, anyway? It turns on for hard acceleration, but I haven't noticed a difference.

read the info on my site

http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/trans.html#powerlight

David,

The vsp1 is the rear speed sensor. Clear the codes and see if it comes back.

The rear speed sensor is in the tail shaft of the tranny. You can replace it, it's on the outside of the tranny.

It would affect shifting and AWD

Thanks. That was about what I figured.

Derailing the thread even more;

Manual Button

The manual button has some controversy as two what its function is. But I'm here to disavow any of those rumors. Firstly, the automatic transmission normally runs a power split of 90% front 10% rear. This is under normal driving conditions. Secondly, the manual button ONLY works when the shift lever indicator is in the positions "3" or "2".

Ok, so you're ready to hear what this thingy does. It is a very primitive version of traction control. When the shift lever is either 3 or 2, and the manual button is depressed, it will keep the transmission from going into first gear. By doing this, you have less torque, more evenly distributed power, and a less chance to slip and slide around.

So to recap, when the shift lever is in the 2 position the transmission stays in 2nd gear. When the shift lever is in the 3 position the transmission chooses between 2nd and 3rd gear. If the shift lever is any other position then the two above, the manual button does absolutely positively nothing.

My experiences with the manual button (in my 93 Legacy L awd) sort of conflict with the description on your website. When I have the manual mode activated, and have it in 1, 2, or 3, the car will start in that gear, and will not shift to the next gear until redline. If I'm cruising in 3rd, or start in third, it will not downshift to 2nd unless I turn off manual mode.

we just had a thread on the legacycentral bbs about the manual button, and ciper seems to think/discovered that when the manual button is depressed the TCU uses the 1st gear map for 2nd, and 2nd gear map for 3rd. The reason he says this is due to the fact the car won't down shift....like you described.

I don't recall the thread url, but if you look in the drivetrain forum on the legacycentral bbs, you should find something.

if not let me know.

• 2 years later...
Thanks. That was about what I figured.

Derailing the thread even more;

My experiences with the manual button (in my 93 Legacy L awd) sort of conflict with the description on your website. When I have the manual mode activated, and have it in 1, 2, or 3, the car will start in that gear, and will not shift to the next gear until redline. If I'm cruising in 3rd, or start in third, it will not downshift to 2nd unless I turn off manual mode.

does the indicator light actually turn on? I don't see anything happening at all whern I push the manual button in gear 1,2 or 3