Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'82 GL wagon sale feeler...

Hey guys,

I've put a lot of love and time into my old Subie wagon, but I just bought a house and don't really have the room or time for the car anymore. I'm thinking of selling it, but am not sure what it's worth. I'd like to get $1500 for it, but I don't know if I'm crazy for asking that much. I'd like some honest opinions on what it might be worth... Here's the info:

1982 GL Wagon, ea81 japanese motor with hydraulic lifters

Car has 160K, so I would have to guess motor has somewhere between 50K and 80K on it (assuming motor had 30K on it when it was replaced, and car had between 100K and 140K on it...)

Weber 32/36 DGEV (electronic choke) rebuilt with many new parts and low profile filter (approx 1 year / 1500 miles on it) and custom aluminum adapter plate. Full 2.25" custom exhaust with turbo muffler and 2" pipes from the heads to a 2.5" merge

GM 100A alternator (needs new diodes, can be rebuilt for ~$65, and I'm willing to do so if you want) and additional 8 ga. wire to battery

Custom short shifter on 4speed D/R 4WD transmission with all new shift bushings. AC parts have all been removed and non-ac ducting for ventilation system installed. Custom PCV system, emissions/EGR removed. Front swaybar removed for offroad use.

Other new parts with <1K miles:

Throttle & clutch cables

Front pads / resurfaced rotors

OE clutch / resurfaced flywheel

Pass. front balljoint

Front wheel bearings

Accessory belts

2-row radiator, upper/lower hoses & OE tstat

4 cheap Walmart tires + full size spare

factory refurbished Optima Redtop sealed battery

CB, whip, and custom fender mount (works very well)

Used GL10 front seats with custom mounts in great shape

Upgraded NAPA ignition coil

There are some other things I can't recall, but I have documentation (receipts & work orders) for everything. I will update this list when I actually post for sale.

Problems:

There is a slow leak from one power steering hose.

As I mentioned, the diodes in the alternator need to be replaced. I believe this is because the 300W KC spots on the front suck too much power at idle. I am not planning on selling the lights with the car, but a two-battery setup with an isolator should solve this.

Oil pressure gauge does not work. Has worked, likely electrical problem.

Otherwise, the car runs great. Motor runs strong, all fluids were replaced recently, and it's done amazing offroad. I've taken it for several multi-day trips and never had any problems.

I have some spare parts:

ignition coil (removed when working)

oil pump

some other stuff (gotta check)

I've put well over $2000 in new parts into the car, plus more hours than I can count. I may be willing to include some other extras (Hi-lift, tools, extra fluids) to sweeten the deal if necessary.

Thanks for any input!

Aaron

It's a nice ride, I can attest to that. With the addition of a lift and tires it will make a great little trail machine.

I would have to put it's value closer to $750 - $1000..... the value of a decent condition EA81 wagon (in OR) is around $500, and the other stuff does sweeten the deal - the Weber in particular is worth another $250 easy.

If you put a lift+tires on it, I would say $2500 easily - people seem to go for those turn-key solutions rather than doing it themselves.

I guess my point is that the demographic targeted by it is the off-road community (otherwise it's unlikely they would consider the lights, Weber, etc to be of use), but you have two types in that demographic - those that want one pre-built, and those that are handy and can do it themselves. Your wagon lands somewhere in the middle and so is neither inexpensive (do-it-yourself oriented), nor fully equipped (turn-key oreinted). As such it's a going to take just the right person.....

GD