Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

1986 Subaru XT - running light issue

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mattb43

mattb43

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Aloha

Posted 20 June 2007 - 12:08 PM

I have a 1986 Subaru XT GL-10 Turbo and my running lights are acting up. Heres the issue.

When I press the running light button the running lights work just fine. When I press my headlight button the running light button on the dash clicks off (basically the two switches cant be pressed at the same time). Brake lights and everything works fine. So when the headlight button is on the running lights are off. I was pulled over for not having them on so any help would be appricated.

Thanks,

Mattb

#2 Turbone

Turbone

The Original Rob

• 12,087 posts
  • WA

Posted 20 June 2007 - 02:47 PM

Check the switch thats on top of the steering column, it might be on.

#3 joostvdw

joostvdw

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 609 posts
  • Holland

Posted 20 June 2007 - 04:47 PM

you're getting pulled over for having your headlights on but not your running lights :-\ that's odd

other than that, the running lights should come on with your headlights, if you're really desperate you could run a relay to the running lights and use the headlights as a signal for the relay, but not after you've done the test and advices to come :-p

#4 mikeshoup

mikeshoup

Ignorant

• Members
  • 2,190 posts
  • City and County of Denver

Posted 21 June 2007 - 07:12 AM

It sounds like the switch pod may be broken. Your running lights should stay on when you hit the headlight switch (the running light switch will pop back out). The only thing I could think of would be the switch pod.

#5 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 8,533 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 21 June 2007 - 11:07 AM

you're getting pulled over for having your headlights on but not your running lights :-\ that's odd

I think he means the tail lights, as well as the front marker lights.

There is a tail light relay. Blue connector, I'm assuming under dash. It get's power from the fusible link and supplies power to fuse 7 in the box. Check both of the fuses and the links. The *passing switch*(that's what the FSM calls it) switch is suppllied with power from fuse 4, so it would work even when the other circuit has blown a fuse/link/relay, etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users