Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1986 Subaru XT - running light issue

I have a 1986 Subaru XT GL-10 Turbo and my running lights are acting up. Heres the issue.

When I press the running light button the running lights work just fine. When I press my headlight button the running light button on the dash clicks off (basically the two switches cant be pressed at the same time). Brake lights and everything works fine. So when the headlight button is on the running lights are off. I was pulled over for not having them on so any help would be appricated.

Thanks,

Mattb

you're getting pulled over for having your headlights on but not your running lights :-\ that's odd

other than that, the running lights should come on with your headlights, if you're really desperate you could run a relay to the running lights and use the headlights as a signal for the relay, but not after you've done the test and advices to come :-p

you're getting pulled over for having your headlights on but not your running lights :-\ that's odd

I think he means the tail lights, as well as the front marker lights.

There is a tail light relay. Blue connector, I'm assuming under dash. It get's power from the fusible link and supplies power to fuse 7 in the box. Check both of the fuses and the links. The *passing switch*(that's what the FSM calls it) switch is suppllied with power from fuse 4, so it would work even when the other circuit has blown a fuse/link/relay, etc.