Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have all kinds of issues with the doors on my new 92 Legacy.

1st: both front outside door handles are not attached to the door any more (other than by the linkage to the latches). I cannot figure out how they are supposed to be attached... when I pulled the interior panel on the driver side I do not see any attachment points??

2nd: My driver side interior door release handle does not work. I can see that it pulls the rod to the latch, and seems to move fine, but it looks like there is too much play between the parts of the mechanism. I do not see anything broken and am confused as to why this isn't working. Is there an adjustment anywhere?

Please help!! it is getting embarrassing to have to roll down my window and reach outside the car to pull on the dangling door handle just to get out of the car!

Well, I got the inner one working, it looked pretty dried out and gummed up. All I had around was a spray bottle of armor all and I figured it leaves a nice film of grease on my dash, so I sprayed a bunch in there LOL. It has worked fine since then so I guess it was just sticking somehow.

As far as the outer one, I might try some JBweld if I can't find anything out, either that or it might just be easier to replace the whole door.

As far as the outer one, I might try some JBweld if I can't find anything out, either that or it might just be easier to replace the whole door.

95's have 2 bolts on the inside of the door that thread thru a bracket on the door into the door handle mechanism, also a spring clip. on 95's, one bolt is easy to reach, one is much harder, for me any way. i have had my door lock cylinder / keyway and handle out of the door. when i reassembled, i left out the 'harder' bolt, but put in the easy one and the spring clip, (same side as the harder bolt). everything works fine.

in earlier posts, (last year?) 93 owners have said door handles are easy. 93's must be different than 95's.

you might run your hand inside of the door at the bottom, if screws fell out that's where they'd be. go slow in case there are any sharp edges.