Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

- - - - -

Where to find a replacement cat?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Legacy_*

Guest_Legacy_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2003 - 05:15 PM

I was wondering how I could get my hands on a used catalytic converter (as a unit, with intermediate pipe). I called a few junkyards and found nothing so far. One of them said they have a new "universal" unit which must be welded on. I wonder if it's any good. New from dealer cost is 700-800$ CDN but this universal one is $100. Installation not included. I need to do something about it since currently my car has no cat, and I may have to do emissions testing soon.

Any recommendations?
Thanks

#2 Guest_samtheblur_*

Guest_samtheblur_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2003 - 01:27 AM

<a href="http://www.discountconverter.com/" target="_new">Never purchased here myself but have heard good things.</a>

#3 Guest_Legacy777_*

Guest_Legacy777_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2003 - 06:53 AM

Couple things. You most likely won't find any place that will sell you a used cat conveter. It is an emissions device and in the states they're not "supposed" to sell you it. Now whether you can work something out is another story.

You may try here too for universal ones exhaustproslinc.com/uncon.html

Other note is that subaru uses a two stage/part catalyst. There is a front and rear catalyst. If you get an aftermarket universal jobber you can do away with both of the stock cats.

#4 Guest_ferret_*

Guest_ferret_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2003 - 07:29 AM

Try this URL. They list a 90-94 for $254 usd.
www.catalyticonverters.co...erter.html

#5 Guest_cookie_*

Guest_cookie_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2003 - 12:27 PM

I often own cars that cost more to repair than I can really afford to have repaired by the dealer at dealer prices.
In the past this has been Jags, Mercedes, and currently is a BMW M Roadster.
I have used universal cats on several occasions and also just found mufflers that fit.
Great luck and huge savings over dealer prices, and they easily pass our CA smog.
My Jeep now has a universal cat that cost me $100 five years ago.

#6 Guest_dwallbaum_*

Guest_dwallbaum_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2003 - 04:44 PM

I had a cat go out also, local junkyards would not sell a used one, violation of federal law.

My dealer wanted $740 or so, the '99 impreza has two cats connected together, tho only one was bad. Sorry, both or none.

On the board here was a reference to Liberty Subaru, Oradell, NJ.
888-782-9493

Russell Guy (Guy Russell??? )is the parts manager. Sold both cats for$404.60 plus $9 shipping.

Part was delivered as promised. It fits, it works.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users