Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I bought my 93 legacy AWD auto from some folks that had a new AAMCO tranny dropped in about 3k miles ago.

Im wondering If when they remove the tranny for rebuild does the front diff come out w/it or does it remain in the car.

Im just wondering casue I dont want to change the front diff fluid if it has already been done ?

:brow:

Originally posted by oregonloyale

I bought my 93 legacy AWD auto from some folks that had a new AAMCO tranny dropped in about 3k miles ago.

Im wondering If when they remove the tranny for rebuild does the front diff come out w/it or does it remain in the car.

Im just wondering casue I dont want to change the front diff fluid if it has already been done ?

:brow:

The front diff is incorporated within its own sealed section of the 4EAT transmission. The 4EAT has two fluid fills, one for ATF, and the second for 75/80w90 GL5 gear oil just for the diff.

On the 5MT the diff is also incorporated but it is not in a sealed compartment, the gear lube serves both the transmission and differential parts.

Depending on what was done to the transmission, the diff may or may not have stayed in place. The 4EAT mainly develops tailshaft AWD problems not transmission problems, so it is possible that the case was not even split open. If there were shifting problems, many of these can be fixed through the transmission pan opening without splitting the case.

It's $3 of fluid, if in doubt change it.