Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

A/C O-ring seal kit

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 FSRBIKER

FSRBIKER

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 264 posts
  • Oak Ridge, NJ

Posted 27 June 2007 - 11:19 AM

Does Subaru make a O-ring seal kit or can I get them locally without taken my old ones into the store? It's for a 97 Legacy Outback, 2.5/manual. BTW: I did the dye test to show the leaks and I have a leak on either end of the hi pressure line.

#2 uniberp

uniberp

mpmi

• Members
  • 645 posts
  • Walker, MI

Posted 27 June 2007 - 12:03 PM

Does Subaru make a O-ring seal kit or can I get them locally without taken my old ones into the store? It's for a 97 Legacy Outback, 2.5/manual. BTW: I did the dye test to show the leaks and I have a leak on either end of the hi pressure line.

I just bought a cheap ($10)kit for HF, the green rings are what you want. XXXX I think WRONG. I mean HNBR. I saw them at AZ too. The green ones.

The trick to setting orings is to lubricate them (with pag oil) and NOT stretch them to fit. Snug is ok. More than 1.5mm gap isn't good. You don't want to roll them on. On the HP line, they fit into only a chamfer on the lip of the receiver and condensor. Use new long capscrews with the formed washer base. Got mine from the bins at Ace. I used a tiny amount of antisieze on the screw, don't want to get that on the oring.
You are tightening them into aluminum, so be careful not to overtighten them.

#3 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 5,004 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 27 June 2007 - 06:31 PM

I believe those o-rings are hnbr. I got an assortment from harbor freight, but they are sae sizes. I'm guessing the subaru sizes would be metric. Though my friend's '91 dodge colt has metric bolts and i found exact or very close a/c o-ring matches in the harbor freight kit.

EPDM is not rated for refrigerants. Neoprene is rated 'good', PTFE and FEP 'excellent'. Not sure if this link will work, but if you go to www.mcmaster.com, then search for o-ring, then click 'about o-ring materials' it will show you lots of info. Though I'm not sure why they don't list hnbr since that's very common for a/c.

#4 uniberp

uniberp

mpmi

• Members
  • 645 posts
  • Walker, MI

Posted 28 June 2007 - 10:51 AM

I believe those o-rings are hnbr. I got an assortment from harbor freight, but they are sae sizes. I'm guessing the subaru sizes would be metric. Though my friend's '91 dodge colt has metric bolts and i found exact or very close a/c o-ring matches in the harbor freight kit.

EPDM is not rated for refrigerants. Neoprene is rated 'good', PTFE and FEP 'excellent'. Not sure if this link will work, but if you go to www.mcmaster.com, then search for o-ring, then click 'about o-ring materials' it will show you lots of info. Though I'm not sure why they don't list hnbr since that's very common for a/c.

Oooops, that's what I meant. HNBR. The green ones.

#5 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 5,004 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 28 June 2007 - 11:50 AM

can I get them locally without taken my old ones into the store?

I was just looking at a drawing for my '94 and there were several o-ring sizes in the system, including 6mm, 8mm, 12mm, and 16mm

#6 FSRBIKER

FSRBIKER

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 264 posts
  • Oak Ridge, NJ

Posted 28 June 2007 - 01:33 PM

Do they show what size for the hi-pressure line?

I was just looking at a drawing for my '94 and there were several o-ring sizes in the system, including 6mm, 8mm, 12mm, and 16mm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users