Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 Shifter bushing help.

I recently bought two EA81 subarus that I'm combining into one good driver. The driving car is an 83 GL Wagon with the 4 speed 4x4 tranny. The parts car is a a GL-10 Coupe with the 5 speed front wheel drive. The GL Wagon has a very loose stick. I can't even get it to go into reverse and there's a lot of play in the stick. The parts car is pretty tight, so I'm wondering if the shifter bushings can be swapped between the two trannys or not. And if so, how do I do it. Never done it before. Thanks!

The easy way to verify is to crawl under and compare them both but if i recall correctly the 4 speed shift linkage is completely different from the 5 speed fwd. Also the reason you might have slop in the shifter is a pin that gets worn down and wobbly. There is a how to in the USRM on how to install a bolt in its place to get rid of the slop.

The easy way to verify is to crawl under and compare them both but if i recall correctly the 4 speed shift linkage is completely different from the 5 speed fwd. Also the reason you might have slop in the shifter is a pin that gets worn down and wobbly. There is a how to in the USRM on how to install a bolt in its place to get rid of the slop.

I'm in the middle of the same thought process and they're completely different. The 5 speed 2wd shifter sits up top on a plate and the 4 speed shifter sits along the drivers side. I'll bet you have the same worn out pin he mentioned, I certanly just found out I do.:eek: Off to the manual to reread the shifter slop info.... :dead: Frank (fshnidiot)

OK, so which direction do you drive the pin out of the sleeve that sits on the tranny shift shaft, from up top or down below? It's so sloppy loose I can't get it to hold still in the right position from either side. It's a 4speed dr in an 81 Brat. Thanks for any tips, Frank (fshnidiot)

Hey Guys This is Jerry, change the tranny to a 5 speed dual range tranny that will make all the slop go away in the shifter. Much better tranny alot better tranny and alot more fun to drive. Thanks Jerry

I already have that at the top of my list for both my Brats. That was planned before I got either one but for now I'm in the middle of hacksawing that piece of #%$#$%@! so I can clamp it up and go. I thought the pin in the halfshaft was a pain. Yikes!!!!!:eek: I finally busted it loose with a 6" long 1/4" extension. After an hour or so of hitting my hands and everything else in range but the punch I was using. Well, break's over,back to the hacksaw... fshnidiotzzz

I already have that at the top of my list for both my Brats. That was planned before I got either one but for now I'm in the middle of hacksawing that piece of #%$#$%@! so I can clamp it up and go. I thought the pin in the halfshaft was a pain. Yikes!!!!!:eek: I finally busted it loose with a 6" long 1/4" extension. After an hour or so of hitting my hands and everything else in range but the punch I was using. Well, break's over,back to the hacksaw... fshnidiotzzz

:banana: :banana: :banana: Much better!!!!!!! Now if my thumb will stop bleeding from the hacksaw slipping....:eek: Fshnidiot