Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

shifter slop repair question?????

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 fshnidiot

fshnidiot

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Marysville

Posted 27 June 2007 - 10:04 PM

I'm trying to get the sleeve that holds the shifter off the shift selection shaft on the tranny.I've got the cotter pin out but I can't figure out which direction the pin gets driven out from, up top or down below. Where's my BFH when I need it!? It's a 4 speed dr in an 81 Brat. Any suggestions? Frank :mad:(fshnidiot):mad:

#2 Scott F

Scott F

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • SoCal

Posted 28 June 2007 - 08:45 AM

I just removed this pin. The trans was out, and I tapped the pin in and out from the top. It should work either way. Do you need any of the linkage bushings? I may be able to send you some.

#3 fshnidiot

fshnidiot

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Marysville

Posted 28 June 2007 - 09:11 AM

I just removed this pin. The trans was out, and I tapped the pin in and out from the top. It should work either way. Do you need any of the linkage bushings? I may be able to send you some.

I lost some blood but I managed to get it out. Did the sloppy shifter mod and put it back in in the dark, but it shifts soooo much better. Thanks for the offer on the bushings but I've already ordered the 1 piece on the end of the shifter shaft that had completely disintegrated to dust.I can grab reverse without using 2 hands to do it so I'm doin the banana dance!!!!!:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: Thanks, Frank (fshnidiot):headbang:

#4 bratman2

bratman2

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 433 posts
  • Aurora

Posted 28 June 2007 - 05:52 PM

I think I did mine about 5 years ago and still tight. Hope you have the same success!

#5 Durania

Durania

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,113 posts
  • Crossville, TN

Posted 28 June 2007 - 11:38 PM

Im thinking about attempting this with my brat and using the linkage off my white brat with 60k. I just dont know where to start.

#6 bratman2

bratman2

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 433 posts
  • Aurora

Posted 29 June 2007 - 05:48 AM

Go to the Ultimate Subaru repair manual and click on transmissions and axles. Bottom of the first page post by Subeman90 and a write up by Hassey. Exact procedure I used 5 years ago, mine had so much slop in it I expected it to come out in my hand any day.

#7 86BRATMAN

86BRATMAN

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,231 posts
  • Tazewell Virginia

Posted 29 June 2007 - 11:56 AM

Here's a question I haven't seen adressed about the slop yet. Whcih component is wearing to make the slop, the rod that goes into the trans, the shifter arm, or is it just to pin that holds then together?

#8 mikeshoup

mikeshoup

Ignorant

• Members
  • 2,190 posts
  • City and County of Denver

Posted 29 June 2007 - 12:07 PM

From the looks of mine, its the cylinder that goes over the rod in the transmission (the piece that the pin holds on). The holes look oval shaped now.

Gonna get a bolt and nut and fix it.

#9 fshnidiot

fshnidiot

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Marysville

Posted 29 June 2007 - 12:15 PM

From the looks of mine, its the cylinder that goes over the rod in the transmission (the piece that the pin holds on). The holes look oval shaped now.

Gonna get a bolt and nut and fix it.

It's all pretty simple once you get that darn pin out. I agree on the hole on the outer sleeve being the culprit, mine was oval shaped as well. The improvement was worth every drop of blood and bruised knuckle though. Frank (fshnidiot):headbang:

#10 mikeshoup

mikeshoup

Ignorant

• Members
  • 2,190 posts
  • City and County of Denver

Posted 29 June 2007 - 12:35 PM

Q: What did you use to punch the pin out?

#11 Durania

Durania

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,113 posts
  • Crossville, TN

Posted 30 June 2007 - 12:52 AM

I want to snag the one off my white brat, I would assume that it would be pop out and go. I just cant tell much detail from looking at these pictures.

#12 daeron

daeron

Cunning Linguist

• Members
  • 3,600 posts
  • West Palm Beach

Posted 30 June 2007 - 04:17 AM

the "wear point" in the shifter apparatus in my Z happens to be the little rubber bushings that go into the hole in the bottom end of the shifter lever itself.. little things that look like a top hat with a hole instead of a "top..." The reason I mention it is, my dad mentioned (when I had to replace mine) that "they used to" replace the rubber bushings with a copper part, to eliminate the wear. is there any possibility of such an upgaade in this situation?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users