Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Jack and other on-board tool/part recommendations

I don't have a jack for my lifted '83 wagon and need one that will work with 27" to 28" tires. Any recommendations. Can I use a bumper style jack with the black plastic bumpers?

I'd the more experienced members to recommend a list of tools and parts to throw int he car for road trips (besides the obvious--jack, lug wrench, jumper cables, etc.).

I've got an old military style nylon tool bag and tool roll. I figure I'll put the tools I'm most likely to need in there and throw it in the car "just in case" whenever I go far from home.

I always carry water, couple quarts of oil, antifreeze, a set of metric wrenches, a set of sockets, set of screwdrivers, extra belts (used ones from when I replaced them last), extra axles (one front and one rear), axle change tools (3/16" pin punch, hammer, 36mm socket, breaker bar) shovel (folding type - whatever), small bit of plywood (to lay on, set the jack on, etc), rags......

That's all I can think of right now. probably missed a few things.

GD

Besides what you have,

I keep a saw, coat hanger, army shovel, a tow strap and a come-along with a big stake, when I wheel.

Leather gloves and a water container, first aid kit, cell phone/CB are helpful too! (SHUUUUUUU!..............lockpicks are great too)

For what its worth,

Glenn,

82 Hatch, with all of the above.

01 Forester, with some of the above.

Originally posted by GeneralDisorder

Oh - and no on the bumper jack - you'll tear up the plastic ones but good that way.

So what kind of Jacks do folks use with a lift and big tires? I assume the factory jack doesn't lift high enough (I don't know, because I don't have one).

Most people just use a small floor jack with whatever adapter needed(wood block) to reach the diff and crossmember.

Tools;

Standard stuff

8mm,10mm,12mm,14mm,17mm,19mm sockets and wrenches.

Screwdrivers(one or two slotted and phillips)

spare fuses, belts, hoses. water/antifreeze.

Axle socket

3/16" pin punch

Extra stuff

I carry a folding shovel, folding saw, rain coat, 2 tow straps along with my winch. On-board welding equip., Tool bag with way more tools then I need.(better to have and not need than to need and not have)

One of the most important things to have is a first aid kit. We have been lucky as not to have had any major injuries. A few cuts and bruises are always going to happen.

Bottom line is take what you absolutely feel you need and whatever you think you can comfortably carry in your rig. Remember one thing, everything you add weighs something and it adds up after a while. Weight is not the friend of the Subaru.

Assuming you don't have an electric winch, and even if you do it couldn't hurt, get a 4-ton come-along winch and enough rope/chain/whatever for at least 50 feet of reach with it. I've pulled my car out many times with one when I was by myself. Sure, it takes a while, but that way you know you can always get unstuck.

I don't think anybody mentioned zip-ties or bailing wire. Those two things, along with duct tape, can hold ANYTHING on that might get knocked loose. Heck, there are even a few of them holding on permanent, important stuff on my car.

Thanks Snowman and Trogdor. Duct tape will be in my bag. I have some in my pocket right now, wrapped around a Mini Bic.

I carry stainless steel locking wire (yuppy bailing wire) in the first aid kit for backpacking, which is the one I'll throw in the car, but zip ties are a good idea. 550 cord, too.

As to flashlights . . . let's just say I was a flashlight junky before I got bit by the Subaru bug. Check out http://www.candlepowerforums.com.

I got a small winch with the a-bar and skid plate I bought from Qman. I don't know the manufacturer or rating, though. It's pretty small probably a 2500# or ATV recovery model. A come along is a good idea anyway, since the winch on the front of the a-bar may be buried in the ditch or wherever ;)

And maybe a small fire extinguisher. The kind for fuel fires.

And did anybody talk about some spare bulbs?

I also carry my OBDScan tool and a spare front wiper.

Right now I have even a spare alternator when I do long trips. But I dont necessarily recommend that as standard practice.

I looked at Harbor Freight's version of the Hi-Lift jack the other day and it seem rather cheezy. I am very happy with the ripoff one I got on sale for $29.99 from Northern Tool. My only complaint is that hi-lift style jacks are bloody heavy and I hate hauling it around. Sure wish I could invent something lighter but just as functional.

Northern also has good prices on tree saver straps and snatch blocks (I carry 2 of each.) I have a stock Subaru winch and gotta say it's a bit wimpy, but with two snatch blocks and extra cable it's ok. I'm working on upgrading the winch but I'll still carry two snatch blocks for weird situations.

I carry way too much stuff in my car but I'm paranoid about not having what I need especially when I go out solo. Extra cash and emergency beer may help if you need to hire the local billybob dude to pull your broken/stuck arse outa the woods.

Seems like in the past, didn't we compile a list of what we carry in our cars? I'm not really into lists, but such a list might prove helpful for some folks. The VW crowd has "The VW True Faith and Mystic Revelation Cult Packing List"

if yer talkin about road trip, like with serious miles...

a flashlight. you may have to stop in the most unexpecting moment to check something out,

enough tools to service a timing belt, and axle. having all the necessary tools for those 2 jobs will fix anything likely to be fixed off the side of the road.

screwdrivers, black tape, wire wire/cutter

just in case you have to mess with anything electrical

spare tires, lots of em:banana:

i would like to have a fuel can, soare fuel. you might run short of estimated distance when if trying to stretch gas. presumed you run out of gas, it will be enough to get you to a gas station

spare timing belts, i run mine exposed, serviceable in like 10 minutes

spare turn bulbs if you are worried about being legal(or fix/replace them right before trip

i quart of oil, even if she dont leak

bring deli type food as it will be cheaper than stopping in, will go farther, too

1 jug of water or coolant. i would carry water as it is more versatile, will top off any coolant, but would not need a whole gallon of green.

and if thats an issuew, a spare radiator hose, the water will be enough to get you somewhere, and you can drink it, too

I forgot to mention the duct tape, zip ties, spare bulbs and fuses.

I do carry all the spare electrical tid bits in a small coffee can along with electrical tape. I also have a few fusible links in the can as well as a few relays.

Funny story about zip ties. I had to replace a rear axle on the trail one day. I couldn't get the outboard cup off so I rebuilt it in the car. I didn't have any boot clamps so I hooked two zip ties together and used them for the clamp. Resourceful, yes, but now the funny part. I am still running the same axle with the zip ties still intact a couple months and 3 or 4 runs later.

Man I can't believe Miles didn't mention a siphon hose. Gotta have one of those.

I'm really liking the $15 butane stove I got from the oriental grocery. I keep it in the car and use it at least once a week for tailgate cup-a-whatever.

Wrenching gloves, hand cleaner and of course plenty of rags. Hooded sweatshirt is good to have too.