Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 cars: You can change the clutch without removing the engine or transmission

I'm sure some of you know this already, but if you remove the radiator and y-pipe, you can move the engine forward enough to replace the clutch without pulling the engine or trans out.

I did use an engine hoist, but that isn't really necessary. One should be able to use a floor jack to lift the engine up about two inches to get the engine mount studs out of their holes, then two people using a 2x4 and some rope can pick up the engine and slide it forward.

The clincher is that I didn't remove any hoses, cables or anything. Just radiator, starter, y-pipe, engine mount nuts, and I unbolted the a/c compressor for a little more wiggle room.

There is enough room available to remove the flywheel too, if you are so inclined.

I just swapped out the clutch disk. The total time usage was about 3.5 hours, at a leisurely pace.

This prolly don't belong here, but fer whut it's worth, we just did a clutch replacemnt in a Forester, just dropped the driveline, stuck a jack under the trans dropped the crossmember, slid the tranny back a few inches, then flywheel and all came out. Easier to leave the tranny where it is and slide the engine forward? I dunno.

But I'd never worked on nothin but my 85 wagon, and I was amazed at how alike the Forester was mechanicaly.

Pyro