Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 OBW Airbags, and Grandma's

Ok, so as to make this thread Subaru relevant, I was discussion with friends my recent brake job I completed on my 96 OBW. I commented that for the age of the car I probably should have the airbag system checked sometime soon. One of my friends mentions this video on YouTube - just hilarious!! :lol:

So, for those of you who have not yet seen this:

I just hope the Subaru impact sensors aren't as sensitive. Of course, people who drive Subaru's would never harass little old ladies sleeping at, err, trying to cross the intersection ;)

didn't see the video, i'm at work, but apparantly they are that sensitive, there is a recall on some mid 90's subies to have the front tow hooks cut off cause sometimes when they hit curbs they set the airbags off.

The car in video is not a Subaru (thank god). You need to watch the video to see what happened... heh heh.... (comments suggest it is from an Ikea commercial) But thanks for the heads-up on the recall, makes this thread more relevant now :-p

didn't see the video, i'm at work, but apparantly they are that sensitive, there is a recall on some mid 90's subies to have the front tow hooks cut off cause sometimes when they hit curbs they set the airbags off.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/recallsummary.cfm?rcl_campaign_id=98V315000&prod_id=13331&moduletype=VEHICLE&make=SUBARU&model=IMPREZA&veh_model_year=1995&searchtype=DrillDown

I had just looked it up because my brother was complaining about the front hooks on his 95 being cut off.

94-95 Impreza, and 95-96 Legacy

Keith

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/recallsummary.cfm?rcl_campaign_id=98V315000&prod_id=13331&moduletype=VEHICLE&make=SUBARU&model=IMPREZA&veh_model_year=1995&searchtype=DrillDown

I had just looked it up because my brother was complaining about the front hooks on his 95 being cut off.

94-95 Impreza, and 95-96 Legacy

Keith

Yep, I remember that recall, and it is VIN# specific, so you need to check with a llocal dealer or SOA.

BTW, I called SOA about the AirBag system, and of course they recommend it should be inspected every 10 years. The local dealers here want $75 just to write up a service order when you drive in. I'm not sure I want to justify spending a lot of money on inspection on a 12yr old car where I do most, if not *all* of the maintenance on it now-a-days.

The airbag system really takes care of it's self. If there isn't any rips in the steering wheel cover, or the passenger side cover, and the airbag light comes on when you turn on the key and goes out after you start the car, everything is good. There's not really any tests you can do that the SRS computer hasn't done it's self.

My dad's 95 legacy had the hooks cut off, and it sucks. Now it's been Outbacked, there's no way you could hit the curb, and the would be handy for pulling out other people.