Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A Weber success story.

My new old Brat.

070704_001.jpg

Just got it back from the guy who I sold it to almost 5 years ago. Happy am I. He treated it very well btw.

Weber 32/36 that I originally installed before selling. Pug and play, no messing with it.

The Success Story part:

I flew from Seattle to Pocatello, ID last Thursday (6/28) to retrieve my old Brat and hopefully get it back Home in time for the WCSS9. I haven't seen hide nor hair of the car in the time it was gone, so no idea what to expect.

Dale assured me it would do fine, I didn't see any reason not to believe him. Still wasn't too happy to find that the first 4 hours of the trip would be thru the desert with the temp at about 95+ degrees.

We set out, and by Boise, were able to figure that the car was getting some 25 mpg, the odometer was a bit off because of the 225/70/14 All Terrains it was sporting. Fifth gear the whole way, averaging roughly 75-80. Cool so far.

Night set in, so the first of the mountain passes, the Blue Mountains, would be done at night. Only a couple of times, we had to drop it into 4th up the big hills, never dropped below 60 mph.

So, event free, we made it back to Seattle, two more mountain passes and all. @750 miles, gas used = 23 gallons. Yeah, you do the math. 12 hours for the trip, with minimal stops for leg stretch, energy drinks and piss breaks.

That's when I looked under it to find it had no CAT. It blew thru emmissions just the same, made me pretty happy.

Moral, Webers can be a very nice addition to your ride. Super gas mileage, lots of power, and still run clean.

Glad you made it back safely. The two Blue Mountain passes can be tough; one of them is long and pretty steep. I've done them twice in the winter (not fun) and three times in the summer; once towing my son's '84 wagon home from Mountain Home, ID.

Took that picture yesterday.

Good luck finding rust on this one. I didn't go and get it back for no reason. hehe. Out of the 30 or so Soobs I've sold in the last 7 years, this is one of 2 I actually missed. The other is Bob, and Bob for its off roadability.

It's got some blemishes that don't show. A bad bondo repair gone bad on the driver's side door, and the top corners of the cab cuz the cap stayed on for the last 5 years. . . Couple other little door dings. I've got a good buddy in his second year of tech school for body and paint who's gonna help me doll it up. It'll most likely get painted the same blue again. I'm considering trading the custom (baddass) bumper-Abar-skidplate combo for stock bumpers and fenders.

This year I didn't even wash it before the WCSS, it still had bugs all over the front from the 800+ miles it took to get it there. Next year I'm gonna take a stab at a prize in the show.

This one's a keeper, one that I'll restore. It'll only ever see the lightest duty off road stuff. The swampers will come off and on will go the A/Ts for street use. (that's all A/Ts are good for anyways.)

Good on ya! I was wondering if that's what the trip was all about.

BTW, get the package from Andy?

Just pm'd you about it. :grin:

You'll recall this Brat from the vids. I took it into the mud and got it stuck, (why there's no carpet on the floor now) then went down the rock face with it unassisted. Tex' Brown wagon is in that segment.

• 2 weeks later...