Ultimate Subaru Message Board

in need of experienced subaru-mechanic/guru -- NJ/eastern PA

I am not sure if I am not a bit off topic, so please pardon me in advance

I have very difficult time troubleshooting the source of vibration in driveline somewhere: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?p=626007. I really need experienced guy to test-drive my car and give his cue on the problem. If anyone could recommend some experienced/reliable mechanic or guru somewhere in northern/central NJ or better at delaware gap (route I-80, poconos) where I am not with my poor 2001 LL Bean.

Thanks in advance a lot.

Would you be willing to drive to Philly? There's a guy there who does a lot of work on SVX's and is very good at it.

I would appreciate to have such a contact... if I decide to fix smth and it is a bit evolved procedure so can't be done on the street I would need to go to Philly anyways to a friend of mine with garage...

Orbach's Automotive 365 REINHOLDS RD DENVER, PA (717) 484-2009

These guys have worked on my family's Subaru's for over 20 years. Randy and Tom are far and away the best and most knowledgeable Subaru mechanics I've come across. They're cheap, honest and they don't mind improvization from time to time if permitted. (Coat hanger = free vs. New hood latch cable costing like $25. for an 84 DL) The only downside is that they're usually pretty booked for doing muh work. But if you can describe the problem, they'd be excellent at diagnosing it.

• 2 weeks later...
You might try this place if you don't get any better hits.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46818

"Broadway Automotive, on Route 57 in Broadway, NJ, about 2 miles west of Washington in Warren County. Phone 908-686-2226"

Thanks for the reference -- I did go there -- nice guys -- I left a comment in the original thread you mentioned.

Orbach's Automotive 365 REINHOLDS RD DENVER, PA (717) 484-2009

These guys have worked on my family's Subaru's for over 20 years. Randy and Tom are far and away the best and most knowledgeable Subaru mechanics I've come across.

Just gave Randy a phone call. IMHO over the phone "interview" Randy sounded like a 100% pro in subies imho :headbang:. He said that AT is highly unlikely (if possible at all) to vibrate like I described. And they seem to do quite a bit of AT work in there... The only secret he didn't disclose to me is how to get subi up to full speed on the lift -- so far all attempts (alone or with the mechanic) -- ABS was kicking it and ruining the speed so we never got any speed -- I guess time to ask the USMB :)

That is really sad that I am quite far from them -- he also recommended me another guy who is half way to Randy from where I am but he could not recall his address: Weddy from Bath, PA area... I could not push him to look for an address or phone number since I already occupied him on the phone for quite a while... I guess all after all I will end up driving to Denver as my last attempt before I either ... (it is better to don't think about that)

Been doing business with randy/tom at orbachs for 15 years. Hands down this is worth the drive to get your car fixed. Luckily I am only 12 miles away though but still they are minutes from the PA TPK.

Good luck!

I have to agree. Any expense you may have in gas, time etc. is so easily made up by how good these guys are and how inexpensively they operate. Good luck!