Ultimate Subaru Message Board

lifted gen1 project ideas?

lumpycam

Hey all, I am looking for some ideas and inspiration for my next offroader. Let's have some crazy ideas or pics of your lifted vintage subs.I'm open to all suggestions at this point.

I would like to keep it somewhat streetable, just enough to drive it to the local trails.

what's the hot tricks now and what's not?

been gone for awhile (3 yrs or so) almost feel like a newbie!

Hey Zap, His brat looks like it got a small lift. maybe 3" or 4".I don't know if I want to go as big on this one as I did on the big blue brat. I have a early wagon and located some brats close by, leaning towards another brat.

Here's an idea I had back a few years ago.

Gen 1 brat

ej22 and trans (d/r ?) mounted in the bed backwards.

tcase mounted were trans was

move front axle forward about 4"

leave rad up front ,battery and full size spare

31" tires and ea81 suspension

should make weight more balanced ,exuast and air stacks could run up behind the cab.

The Big blue brat started out as this and ended up:

12" lift

ea82 suspension from an '88 loyale wagon

d/r 5spd mated to chevy 2.8 v6

nissan t/c w/3.90 lsd in rear open front

31" superswampers tsl on steel 15x7 white spokes

front axle moved forward 4 inches and back axle centered in wheelwell

worked well in mud races and suspension was soft on the jumps

but it acted big and cumbersum when on the trails.

1181981659055263180S500x500Q85.jpg1181981674055263180S500x500Q85.jpg

Hmmm.. . . wouldn't you have to reverse the engine rotation somehow to do that? Also sounds like it would leave a pretty short front driveshaft.

Here's a fun idea: how about a Justy? Lift it a bit, put the engine/transaxle mid-mount (inline, instead of transverse) with a welded diff, going to R-160's front and rear?

I know, not what you're looking for, but fun idea, right?

Hmmm.. . . wouldn't you have to reverse the engine rotation somehow to do that? Also sounds like it would leave a pretty short front driveshaft.

Here's a fun idea: how about a Justy? Lift it a bit, put the engine/transaxle mid-mount (inline, instead of transverse) with a welded diff, going to R-160's front and rear?

I know, not what you're looking for, but fun idea, right?

To answer your question, the transfer case is facing backwards too and makes it proper rotation. The cool part is in 2wd its front wheeldrive like stock suby.

And Yes that would be a cool justy! I would do like this ,ea81 suspension ,ej22 and 5 spd d/r , no t case and 6 inches lift,stuff motor up front with bfh and some vaseline! either way a big justy would be cool, maybe some day.2843075820101713470S500x500Q85.jpg

I have to make a correction to my last statement. The motor in the back would require reversing of some sort.I said the t/c would be facing backwards as the motor.This would make the car go the wrong way!Dah! could just flip diffs over or ........?

My idea would put the Justy output into the R-160's, so the reduction would be built in - not really a highway-friendly setup! (low gears all the way through, locked center). It's been done with a Saturn engine/tranny, among others.

I thought about this too, top speed of 35 @ 5000rpm's kinda kills it for streetable but the crawl ratio is awesome!

i think you should do a lifted gen 1 wagon, 6 in of lift, custom bumpers, supercharged ej22, 5sp d/r, 29in tsl's, lots of lights, and a winch..........oh and i was just wondering if you were the guy with the reddish brown hatchbrat with the t-case in the suba-rubicon movie?

i think you should do a lifted gen 1 wagon, 6 in of lift, custom bumpers, supercharged ej22, 5sp d/r, 29in tsl's, lots of lights, and a winch..........oh and i was just wondering if you were the guy with the reddish brown hatchbrat with the t-case in the suba-rubicon movie?

Guilty! Yah , that's me in my Hatch(Unhatched a.k.a. the mule). It was the best of show winner for wcss5 and the original t-case conversion.

Hey all, I am looking for some ideas and inspiration for my next offroader. Let's have some crazy ideas or pics of your lifted vintage subs.I'm open to all suggestions at this point.

I would like to keep it somewhat streetable, just enough to drive it to the local trails.

what's the hot tricks now and what's not?

been gone for awhile (3 yrs or so) almost feel like a newbie!

Why not put a Baja style racing suspension on it; it'll ride like a dream, and go over anything. Swap in a nice little STI motor and a Nissan transfer case to turn some 35 inch Dirt terrains and paint it Yellow. Full roll cage, a must(paint that black):headbang:

Dual EJ22s with FWD auto transmissions, in a brat. Both engines could face forward. :headbang:

How would this make a 4x4 ? Maybe a drag car of drifter . wouldn't want to wire that combination.

Oh I see, One engine in the front and one in the back. I have dual engines on the brain except I'm thinking married together.

Here's an idea I had back a few years ago.

Gen 1 brat

ej22 and trans (d/r ?) mounted in the bed backwards.

tcase mounted were trans was

move front axle forward about 4"

leave rad up front ,battery and full size spare

31" tires and ea81 suspension

should make weight more balanced ,exuast and air stacks could run up behind the cab.

The Big blue brat started out as this and ended up:

12" lift

ea82 suspension from an '88 loyale wagon

d/r 5spd mated to chevy 2.8 v6

nissan t/c w/3.90 lsd in rear open front

31" superswampers tsl on steel 15x7 white spokes

front axle moved forward 4 inches and back axle centered in wheelwell

I personally would stay away from EA81 axles seen to many break, If I was going to do that much work would start wuith a complete EJ22 car use all the running gear with engine , will have to be creative on the struts to get tire clearance , Dont go to big or wide a tire and the axles should survive, at minimun use the strongest axles you can get, (EJ)