Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Grinding noise when turning right

My 1978 4WD wagon has started making a grinding noise when I turn right. I thought it was the CV joint so replaced the left hand side CV joint as I was told the left hand CV joint makes noise when you turn right. Apparently the pressure when turning right is on the left hand side. Unfortunately the noise is still there!:mad:

It sounds just like a CV joint, a grinding or clunking noise when I turn turn right.

Before I replace the right hand side , could it be the wheel bearings?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!

Or you might just be wearing into the rotors somewhat. Check the brakes lately?

New rotors and reconditioned calipers where put on about 1500km ago and they look OK with a visual inspection. This may become a process of elimination! I might do the wheel bearings first and see if that changes things.

Ahh... the joys of using a nearly 30 year old car as my daily driver!:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I would post an update. Turns out I was right after all. The right hand side CV joints have been replaced and the noise is gone!:lol:

Next time I will trust myself rather than listen to a so called expert! Oh well... now both sides have been replaced it should be good for a few years.:-\

I am quite surprised how much the steering has tightened up!