Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 - Hitachi - A/C Fast Idle

Hi,

I'm having problems with low idle speed when the A/C is running on my '85 Brat.

I have done a lot of reading from Haynes, AllData and the FSM but can't find the exact part name/number or exact diagnostic test I need to perform.

I read about the F.I.C.D system in the FSM which explains how to test the vacuum switch (FSM names it Air Valve) (AllData refers to something called Idle Up Control Valve - maybe the same) that opens when the A/C is turned on. Following the vacuum line to the carb, there is a diaphragm actuator which draws in a hook which in turn pulls a lever on the throttle linkage.

I tried pulling a vacuum on this with a hand pump but it only moves slightly and won't hold a vacuum so I figure it is broken.

The questions are:

Am I testing it correctly?

What is the technical name for this actuator?

Can I buy this part at NAPA - I've searched but can't find it...

If not, what is the SOA part number for it so I can see if I can order it from the dealer?

Thanks in advance...

Steve

I have the exact same issue as you do - on my 87 Brat. I set my idle with the a/c on. So it is a bit high. If you find a solution or part details, please post. Thx, aba

Will do,

Just found a vacuum diagram on AllData that has the component named F.I.C.D actuator. The FICD stands for Fast Idle Control Device.

I'll call my dealer tomorrow and and see if they have any. I have scoured the web for that part and couldn't find it so far.

I just pulled the air cleaner off my '86 Brat which seems to have a different A/C setup than the '85. It doesn't have the same vacuum system to increase the idle speed - maybe its electronic. Yours maybe the same as my '86 if they changed the system in that year. I'll keep ya posted.

Steve

My 87 has the diaphragm gizmo with the L arm to increase idle speed. So it may be identical to yours. Thx, aba

OK so here is the skinny...

I asked my local dealer for a part number on the FICD actuator. He understood what the component is because he has been with them a long time and used to work on the older cars. The problem is that he couldn't find the piece on any parts diagrams and he went on to explain why:

Back in the 80's, the subes didn't come across from Japan with air conditioning systems - they were all added by the local dealers on request when they got here. The upshot of this is that there were several different A/C systems installed by different manufacturers. Mine (and yours by the sound of it) turns out to be a Hitachi (label on the compressor).

So it is unlikely that the sube dealer ever stocked replacement parts for these systems because they are in effect aftermarket installations. My parts man said that even if they did have them lying around someplace in the past, SOA periodically offer dealers a "parts buyback" option where they offer to buy back all un-sold parts . As a result my dealership no longer keeps older generations parts on hand.

He recommended I call Hitachi with the SOA A/C System part number that is stamped on a plate under the hood. I called a Hitachi Automotive Products tech guy who said that they no longer make A/C components.

I guess we are now left either finding parts from junkyards, trying to get some kind of universal vacuum actuator from another manufacturor (I did find some references online) or attempting to find a similar sube actuator still in production that can be jerry-rigged to do the same job...

Anyone else have a solution to fixing broken A/C components - someone must have had this issue before....

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

I dunno guys I have an OEM idle up set up, GD ran me through the procedure to get the idle speed set when AC is on. There should be a small nut and lock nut at the rear (driver side) of the valve. You just adjust it with AC on and then lock the lock nut. Somewhere in the dim past I fixed this on my L series wagon maybe do a search for posts started by me.:)

• 7 years later...

Sorry for the necro thread resurrection, but this is my issue.

I remember seeing other threads with a resolution ( I suspect by GD,) but I can't seem to put my eyes on them for some reason.

Could someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Dan