Ultimate Subaru Message Board

$#@%!$$@# window seal...

I still have not been able to adjust my drivers side window properly. I keep getting quite a bit of wind noise no matter what I do. If I look back along the window from inside when the door is closed, I can see a small space between the glass and the seal at the rear of the window (if that makes any sense). Is there anything that I can use to "fill" that space? I was thinking about some sort of rubberized "stuff" (like old glue) that I could stick to the current door seal along where the window should touch. Anyone have any ideas?

Yes, it is only the back of the window that has the gap. Actually, it is only the top half of the back of the window that has a gap. As for the top of the window, sometimes I get a whistle from there but that's easy enough to fix (at least it should be, all I think I need to do for that is raise the stops).

If you take the door panel and the plastic vapor barrier off, you will see 4 or 5 adjusting bolts. They look like a stud that has a slot cut in the end for a screwdriver, with a locknut. These are to adjust the window. I am not sure which one does what, but I'm sure if you adjusted the back ones you could get the window to seal.

I just had my timing belt replaced at the dealer and figured that they'd have an idea on how to fix this quickly. They told me that I would need to have the seal replaced ($80.00) and then it would take 3-4 hours for the tech to get it right. Uhhhhhhh, I thought that Subaru had "good" designs. If it takes a factory tech 3 hours (even 1-2 hours) to adjust a window, that doesn't sound like a "good" design to me.

Also, I have taken 5 seals off of 5 separate junk yard cars that looked to be in good condition but I still have not been able to get it done.

Thanks Hondasunck, but I've already been down that route. All I seem to be able to do it make it seal worse. I seems to me that no matter what I do, I can only get it so tight. I have tried everything with those adjusters that you're talking about but all I get is frustrated. This is like a quest for me. I've been working on this off and on since September. ARGH!!!

I've tried adjusting the door and right now have it so that it is as tight as it can go. Also, when I adjust the door so that the striker plate is in the upper most spot, the glass rests on top of the outer part of the gasket and is even worse as far as noise is concerned. Unless someone knows a secret, I'm pretty sure that I've tries everything. The closest I've come to fixing it is with the adjusting screws under the plastic wrap. The only way I seem to make the windo move when I play with those is further away from the door jamb then before. Very nice. I don't seem to be able to get them tighter then I have them now no matter what I do. The channel for the screw driver is beginning to peal away. $#$#@@!#@$ cheap @!#@$##$@ metal.

Nope. Never been in a wreck.

I was thinking. Could I jamb some sort of something in behind the seal to cause it to stick out a bit more where it needs to? Like run some small rubber coated wire within the seal itself? Or, is there something I could coat the seal with in the areas that it needs it to raise up the surface a little? Something rubbery?

BAsically the rubber seals goto **** and we gotta get them replaced then Correct?

Yippee.. I get to leave my soob at the dealer to have those bitches fix it.....

BTW, Duct tape works good for long drives for all of you with door leaks.. I did that last winter during a 6 hr drive and it kept down on snow blowing in the door cracks and their was no whistling

Do you have a factory repair manual? The adjustment info is in there. Its complete, but completely confusing.

There are a lot of adjustments to be made here.

Theres the height and pitch and strength of how much it clings to the window. The stoppers at the top adjust the stop point of the window going up and down.

I would start by taking a marker and marking every bolt on the door where it currently is so that you can go back to where you were before as chances are good that you will make it even worse than it was before. (no offense obviously)

I would then begin by bumping the stop tabs at the top of the door up until the glass is snug all the way around and then move to the pitch angle adjustments. The books say what order to do it all in (sortof).

Thanks ShawnW. I've been playing around with the book for this adjustment for a while but find it pretty useless. You're right, it's not exactly the clearest directions.

From what I can see inside my door, there are the stops that stop it (duh) on it's way up. Then, there is the adjustment for the angle (back to front) that the window rises. Within the same adjustment, is what appears to be screws that adjust the fit against that seal. I've played with these but I am only able to get it so tight. Am I missing something? For the life of me, I can't figure out how to get the top of the glass tighter against the car using the adjustment provided. It's making me nuts. That's an actual diagnosis.

I did that and it lookes like they are about the same although the one on the passenger side looks tighter (further inset). The problem is, I can't get the drivers side any tighter. I get to a certain point and it stops. If I try and tighten it any more, the metal where the screw driver goes ends up stripping. In other words, I'm pretty sure I just need to buy a honda :)

I have nothing against Hondas! I have never owned a Honda car. I own a Honda VTX1800 streetbike and have owned other street bikes by Honda and I have a couple of off-road Honda bikes and a Honda ATV. But isn't it Sacrilege to say your going to buy a Honda on a Soob board!!!! LOL

--GoatBoy--

yeah. I was waiting for the fur to fly. I have actually owned one Honda. It was a 1979 Civic CVCC. I had it only a couple of years ago. The quintisential "old ladies car" with 40k on it. It was in great shape but it ended up costing us a forture over the year that we had it until finally the motor went.

I was just making a joke. This stupid window is making me rip out what little is left of my hair.

Have you gone to any auto glass replacement shops? They might know more than the dealer. I worked in the glass industry for a few years and dealers often contract out there glass work. I guarantee this isn't something exclusive to Subaru's. An experienced auto glass tech should be able to point you in the right direction, depending on your area of course.