Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87 Turbowagon being cantankerous

Well I thought I had the problem fixed, it's BETTER now than it was before I plugged the loose PCV line back in, but it is still lacking on power. Idles just fine, off-boost power is good, although I don't know if it's "normal" or not since I've never really kept off the boost before.. Well, I have, but not while I was accelerating lol, but it seems like when I get on it, it just doesn't "go", and seems to "go" better at low boost than at high boost.. Once the RPM climbs a bit it's better, but it's slower than my wife's 1.8L FWD automatic Impreza :dead: I'm thinkin boost leak, but not positive... I didn't take a lot off when I put the cams in, only other thing I can think of is I cleaned the MAF with brake cleaner cuz it was full of oily gunk... I know I need to go EJ but that's not within my budget at the moment...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

• 1 month later...

Well, the timing WAS a tooth off, so I got it back on there correctly (Did this like a month ago lol just took me a while to post it) and it runs a lot better but still falls on it's face under boost, just not as bad... I discovered that the boot that goes from the MAF to the turbo has a small crack in it where it goes into the turbo...

So I think I need a new one.... grrr... anyone have one?

Well, the timing WAS a tooth off, so I got it back on there correctly (Did this like a month ago lol just took me a while to post it) and it runs a lot better but still falls on it's face under boost, just not as bad... I discovered that the boot that goes from the MAF to the turbo has a small crack in it where it goes into the turbo...

wasn't that boot cracked like 2 years ago dufus? I remember you told me about it a long time ago (right after you moved back to Oregon I think) and how it was cracked. :rolleyes:

. I discovered that the boot that goes from the MAF to the turbo has a small crack in it where it goes into the turbo...

Take it off, clean the crap out of it with dish soap or a good degreaser. Then wrap it with electrical tape. Good quality electrical tape so it really sticks and get it really tight. I've had good luck *repairing* a few this way.

wasn't that boot cracked like 2 years ago dufus? I remember you told me about it a long time ago (right after you moved back to Oregon I think) and how it was cracked. :rolleyes:

Yeah that one was cracked like 2/3 of the way around.. This one is cracked like, 1/2" long... I have a good one but it's for an 85-86 and it's too short :-( Maybe I'll just put my cone air filter back on, and put the air box back together on the Legacy...

I had acceptable results repairing a crack on a BAFFLE on one of the rubber air boots on my 280Z with a piece of rubber from a bike inner tube, and rubber cement. If it was acceptable on the baffle, then it should be solid as a rock on a flat bit of snorkus.