Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cam Seals... check, Timing belt... check... Now what?

Hello everyone, I have a '92 SVX, and just bought cam seals, and a timing belt, and I was just looking for any input before I get started. I have never done a timing belt, or anything this extinsive. I'm really looking forward to all the fun I get to have this weekend. thanks

Its an svx so the plist may or may not be more money but here is what should be replaced:

Main Seal

Re-seal the oil pump

water pump

Thermostat (your there anyway)

Tensioner (if the tensioner goes south so does the engine)

Idler

Radiator cap (if its never been done now is a good time)

I am assuming you have the belt and cam seals.

Replace the fan belts too since you already took them off.

IF you replace all those parts you will be good untill 120,000 miles (figuring 60K per belt change). or 105000 miles ( i dont know what interval you have).

nipper

IF you replace all those parts you will be good untill 120,000 miles (figuring 60K per belt change). or 105000 miles ( i dont know what interval you have).

Right now It's at 145,000, and I guess that I should replace the main seal and everything else, but $$$... so I just have to do a little at a time. maybe I'll do that next payday. thank you.

I have never done a timing belt, or anything this extinsive. /quote]

Neither had I until this past January. But with a Haynes in one hand and a lot of friends standing behind me (the entire USMB board), we pulled it off.

You can do it. Just don't rush. Take your time and study it as you go. And if you get stuck, run for your computer and ask questions!

I'm not familiar with the front end of an SVX but if it's anything like the EJ22 I'd strongly suggest:

Reseal the oil pump (just one o-ring and some sealant).

Replace the main seal as well as the cam seals.

The tensioner is a good idea, as nipper said.

Any idlers that seem questionable--generally the cogged one is the first to go.

Water pump and thermostat while you're in there and have access--it's double work to have to go back in again later. New hoses and coolant replacement too, but that can be later.

Good luck to you--keep us up on your progress.