Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can i make the EA82 Loyale into a Turbo EA82??

To use the factory stuff to convert you'd need:

Engine crossmember(has notch to clear crossover/uppipe)

Entire EA82 turbo motor and turbo(with crossover/uppipe)

Turbo ECU and harness

Turbo downpipe

Possibly a higher pressure fuel pump (not sure if the SPFI one would pump enough pressure)

Good news is I have the crossmember sitting in my garage down here in K-town if you want it. Cheap cheap:grin:

I've got a harness and ECU as well. Whole JDM engines can be had for about 400-500 dollars. Or you could try to find one in a J-yard

Actually I say just get an intercooler, up pipe, down pipe and crossmember.. ohh and the pesky turbo. High compression turbo FTW... just knock back the timing a bit...

Also I thought that the ECU's were the same, just more parts added on...

Ohh, and the fuel pumps are the same.

Actually I say just get an intercooler, up pipe, down pipe and crossmember.. ohh and the pesky turbo. High compression turbo FTW... just knock back the timing a bit...

Also I thought that the ECU's were the same, just more parts added on...

Ohh, and the fuel pumps are the same.

ECU's are different for sure. And are you talking keeping the SPFI? 1 Fuel injector to try to supply enough fuel? IDK if that will work well.

ECU's are different for sure. And are you talking keeping the SPFI? 1 Fuel injector to try to supply enough air? IDK if that will work well.

I hear tell that it HAS been done (turboing a car with an SPFI computer) BUT all I know is that I went out on a limb and said it almost certainly can't be done about a month or so ago, and someone corrected me and said that it HAD, in fact, been done with moderate success, but I know nothing more about it. It can't be very simple, though.. I imagine you have to know the computer's workings in and out, and you might even need to wire in an additional injector to fire under boost.

If you're looking for more power but want to put a turbo motor in there to last awhile, then go with an EJ20 or an EJ22T. You can get a complete JDM frontcut for pretty reasonable and it will have everything needed to do the swap for the most part. That and stock HP rating is much higher then an EA82T.

I've thought about doing it to my wagon... I'm at 5400 feet or so with my carbbed to SPFI swap and then an intercooler.... Moderate compression+Turbo+altitude=slightly fastAR wagon... then again I HAVE the parts to do it AND I'll hopefully have an EJ22 here pretty soon.... I say it CAN be done, but you need to watch it like a hawk... and personally I'd add a wideband and RRFPR to the list o' things if I was going to do it.... I think the single injector can fuel enough for 7 psi... I mean it's not like we are talking 5367 HORSEPOWER!!!! here... more like 120hp....at the crank.... maybe.

Other then that he can always swap the heads and ECU and harness and make a go at it... but personally I'd just go EJ... cheaper, faster, better.

Ohh and I stand corrected... the SPFI ECU and the Turbo ECU ARE different... I was thinking N/A MPFI... loyale, duh. I missed that. the Fuel pumps are the same though:rolleyes: