Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Interesting Opel GT

About 5yrs ago Corky and I went out to the Olympic Peninsula to check out a car that was on Ebay. We were interested in how they managed to get a 12cyl Allison engine into a 1970 Opel GT. We spent the afternoon with the owner and looked at the car and asked alot of questions. Dont know if the car ever sold, never got back to the guy, but it had a pretty low reserve ($3000 I think).

Anyway, since I figured out how to download my VHS onto Youtube you can enjoy what Corky and I witnessed that day. Unfortunatly he was unable to keep it running due to fuel delivery and low batteries, you get the idea. Btw, this car was actually street legal:eek:

I have a bunch of pics, just need to locate them.

The Opel was built by a guy in MN, who happened to be a engineer. The car was hit by a train in the rear and he wanted to do something different. The build is almost 20yrs old and back then a Allison engine was pretty cheap. He had vid of it at a local air strip, he never got out of 1st gear(stock tranny) and was doing 60mph.

opelv12b.jpeg

opelv12.jpeg

Opel1.jpg

And to answer your question........why not?

Look at some of the mods we do to our Soobs:-p

I used to have a 70 Opel GT and a 69 Kadette. The GT was a way cool car with a weber on it. The motor sat back a little ways compared to the kadette and that put the shifter in a really sweet spot. In fact the whole cabin of that car was laid out really well for the driver. Very fun car to drive, luckily I was never rear ended in it though! Mine was rusty to begin with and finally succumbed to MI rust heaven.....

-Doug

Obviously you dont know much about Opels. From 68 and up they came with a 1.9L engine with 102hp. With a few mods (Weber) it was a pretty quick car. I had several 68 to 73 wagons, long before I got into Soobs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opel_GT

i just did a quick search, so i didnt look hard. :-p

i dont trust wikepedia, i have caught to many errors on it when its come up on the engineering end.

nipper

i just did a quick search, so i didnt look hard. :-p

i dont trust wikepedia, i have caught to many errors on it when its come up on the engineering end.

nipper

Wikapedia isnt where I got all my info from. Do a your own search if you dont believe me. A 68 Kadette could probably beat a EA82T:rolleyes:

hehehe lets thorw a VW beetle in there too just for fun :)

nipper

That is the second reference to VW bugs. We hate on them?

Why not throw in a couple of my buddies "bugs" from highschool. One ran 11's and the other ran 10's. And before you ask, yes, they did have VW engines in them.

Why not throw in a couple of my buddies "bugs" from highschool. One ran 11's and the other ran 10's. And before you ask, yes, they did have VW engines in them.

I had a 73 super beetle, i love bugs, hate the new ones.

But then again i like cars with weird and unusual engines.

nipper

An Allison V12 was successfully transplanted into a BMW Isetta. Search Google, and you'll see it mentioned on a few other forums, but no pics.

Guy who built it said he will not drive it because he's scared of it. I don't blame him.

ROFLPIP

then why build it?

Speaking of bugs.... I got smoked in my SW by a very stock sounding(and driving) one... don't underestimate them... they are not that slow.:dead:

Course my 90HP wagon had 4 people and junk in it and the 29's on it.:lol:

Caught this one at a local autox a couple years back... the rear 14" wide Hoosiers are powered by a Cadillac 500ci V8 and the fronts are powered by a 2.2 Chrysler Turbo motor SIMULTANEOUSLY. I don't know exactly how he got them to sync up, but it was defianately a cool car:

Yugo1.jpg

Yugo2.jpg

Yugo3.jpg

Yugo5.jpg