Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Every one Read Ive got to get something off my chest.

+1 on the legos thing.

Carb Block

82misc_007.jpg

WRX Turbo

82Picture_046.jpg

XT intake manifold

82Picture_004.jpg

And a handful of other goodies. - stuff them in a station wagon and you have a fun toy for very little money.

My goal when I started my wagon project was to see how much fun I could get out of it for the least amount of money possible.

My previous toy was a Saab with 300+ HP and way too much money invested in it.

5 years and something like 7 subarus later, I'm still messing with them.

My goal when I started my wagon project was to see how much fun I could get out of it for the least amount of money possible.

My previous toy was a Saab with 300+ HP and way too much money invested in it.

5 years and something like 7 subarus later, I'm still messing with them.

Boost it Till it blows, and then slap another one in it................. just a turn of a knob and you got more boost :Flame: their needs to be a smilie for KABOOOM!!!!!!!!!

I used to compare my lifted wagon to a guys Jeep that used to work with me.

We both had about 13" of clearance. I have 29's he had like 30 or 31's. I have a rear locker, he couldn't afford one yet.:lol: I have about $1500 tied up in my wagon(bought it for like $200) He was still paying off the $15k loan:eek: and didn't know what he had in the lift and tires.... I think I won.:rolleyes:

Anyway I also love my soobs... I'm down to 3 at the moment since nothing has caught my eye recently and I like my current mix. Wagon for the snow, Rx for the rain and XT-6 for the summer. I think I'll keep my XT-6 for much longer... until I die... ehh... maybe I'll be buried in it, just to be a PITA.;)

Been out today and thinking about this thread - seems in not the only one who enjoyed lego when they was young.

Soobs are simple - little things like the timing marks being on the flywheel, how cool is that. How to adjust the valves and set timing is in the factory manual with the car oh and the spare wheel in the engine compartment - genius and a great talking point to non soob heads

They are so well designed, cheap and reliable.

The ute (brats/brumbys) hava cult following in rural Australiaso parts are easy and cheap to get

I have 13 inch rims with top quality tyres that cost $90 each. How much is Jeep Tyres?

Cant always do what a Jeep does, don't need to! but love to be able to go in the sand and Mud!

This is my 5th soob now, I really would try anything mechanically on them. I dont because quite honestly i prefer someone else to get grubby sometimes, but geez it's good to be able to take my car somewhere and tell them what i want done! Not ask them 'whats wrong with it", i don't get ripped off and I often get a discount special rates cause the mechanics love my car!

as you modify something beyond what it was intended to do, there is always increased risk of failure...

I just busted the rear suspension in my '82 Brat, and it's only got 99k on it, but it's been beat hard with lift, tires, clocking, and extra weight....

Like Bucky92 said, an unmodified soob with proper maintenance will last and last....

... ...Like Bucky92 said, an unmodified soob with proper maintenance will last and last....

Absolutely True!!!

Just come down here, where aren´t salt on the Road, most people just do the Oil / Filters \ Spark Plugs change to their subies, and there are Lots of 70´s era subies running Great everywhere, Specially at Capital City... There I´ve seen many very old subies, even workin´ all the Day as Taxis! :headbang:

I also have to say..you do know we are talking about 20+ year old cars with well in the upwards of 200K miles on them..I was talking to somene the other day while working on my XT6 in PA .and he kept bragging about his chevy..sure it has 200+ miles on it..but it was on its second motor so it doesnt count...when I mentioned my Loyale and my Imp and the mileage (203K and 226K) and when I said "original" mileage he kinda shut up.

Once I replace the axles and get tires for my Loyale..and put a new timing belt ( she is so due) and patch the gas tank..I would drive either one of those 2 cars cross country without a second thought ( WCSS10!:banana: ) I would even drive my Imp down to Honduras to have Loyale 2.7 Turbo do the bodywork on the rear quarters:grin: ;) :-p :lol:

Heck, Blu is going to alaska soon (from NY). Granted Blu has a new engine, is 10 years old, and everything else is original.

I would never do that with any other car. with 210,000 miles on it. ALl my old gen subarus bot killed by rust only, way past 260,000 miles.

Rust kills, engines run forever.

nipper

24 hours latter and 54 posts latter i get my answer. I was never going to give up. OK let me ask you guys this. Is it possible that some of your vehicles arent as reliable as others because you mis match parts from other years and makes. Just throwing that out there.

Depends on what you're mixing and matching. Carb block with Turbo heads and a Turbo, yeah, it'll lose reliability. Carb block into an SPFI car because the SPFI one broke, its not any less reliable.

You can mix and match suspension, and as long as the geometry is the same, you're not ruining reliability.

The only guys that really have much to worry about reliability are those building hi-power EA82Ts. (There isn't anyone building a hi-power EA81T yet though)

The only guys that really have much to worry about reliability are those building hi-power EA82Ts. (There isn't anyone building a hi-power EA81T yet though)

the ea82t isnt so bad if you take your time and do it right, but where is the fun in that. id like to play with an ea81t, that could be some fun.

24 hours latter and 54 posts latter i get my answer. I was never going to give up. OK let me ask you guys this. Is it possible that some of your vehicles arent as reliable as others because you mis match parts from other years and makes. Just throwing that out there.

Some things make it unreliable, but for the most part, Old school subarus are Mix and matchable, New school subarus are mix and matchable... and there are even some inbetweens, for instance, My bro in laws Rs, has the same rear diff as my Gl-10!!! (so you know who I will go to if my bullet proof diff ever breaks, which it never ever will)

the ea82t isnt so bad if you take your time and do it right, but where is the fun in that. id like to play with an ea81t, that could be some fun.

They seem to run ok when you throw a few extra main bearings in the oil pan!:lol: :lol:

Ok that was in poor taste,

Sorry.

OK let me ask you guys this. Is it possible that some of your vehicles arent as reliable as others because you mis match parts from other years and makes. Just throwing that out there.

No drain on reliability due to using stuff from different years.

Where you run into reliability issues is when you mod the car and/or parts to do things they weren't meant to do.

No drain on reliability due to using stuff from different years.

Where you run into reliability issues is when you mod the car and/or parts to do things they weren't meant to do.

You can run into that by not even modding the car (any car) just abuse

:-p

nipper

My first subaru was a loaner from a friend. A 85 EA82 wagon, I used it to run a house painting crew around town, strapped ladders to the top, filled the entire rear end with paint and equipment, and put 1-2 crewmembers in the wagon with me! It was flat black painted, completely covered with stickers. I learned to drive stick on it, put 150+ miles a day with zero maintenance, and it never gave me a hint of trouble. It pulled like a bandit on the freeway, through downtown traffic and gravel all.

I took it with friends up to a couple of rally races here in the logging roads, saw more Subarus than any other car driven to attend, and figured out this was THE vehicle for practical independence (a big value here in Cascadia).

I then found USMB, realized the resources available for the cars. Started looking out for a Subaru of my own (For the wagon had to be returned one day - as far as I know it's now a band wagon somewhere in Oregon.)

I found a RX sedan for sale up north a hundred miles, drove up to look at it. Kind of beat up, blown head gasket - didn't matter, it was an RX. I bought it, had the engine replaced with a JDM EA82T, performed some bodywork and maintenance on the other systems and even replaced an axle in my carport! I would never have been able to do all this without USMB to learn how to work on these things.

I could go on but bottom line is, Subaru is a wonderful car in terms of REAL reliability. Treat it right and it will never let you down.

I think subarus are very unique cars. I personally like subarus alot, i see my Old RX running around, and all kinds of other older subarus, Turbo, RX, GL Wagons and i wish i had a SUbaru again, my RX was SOOO much fun, winter time 4x4 unstoppable. It just got me way to mad, but id own another subaru in a heartbeat, preferably a GL-10 Sedan, RX Sedan or Coupe, or XT Or XT6. I just cant find any around here. I would preferably stay clear of the Turbo ones unless it appears to be taken care of. I got mine sitting under a tree for a year for 100$ with broken timing belts and a world of other ignored problems i had no idea about.

Subies aren't the only ones that are freaks (used affectionately). I also own an Opel GT (actually 2 1/1 of them). I also belong to their message board. That are just as much a bunch of fanatics as we are here. You just can't do as much with one as you can with a Soobie. These sites are invaluable to the novice, the weekend knuckle buster, etc. I raise my mug in toast to all who have graced us here with their opinions, advice, questions, and humor:clap:

i love those mini corvettes! always thought about gettin one.

• 1 month later...

I haven't owned half as many cars as most of you, but what I can say is this. Most of the cars/trucks I have owned over the last 15+ years were Fords or Chevys, one dodge. The way that subaru designs things just impress me more and more after having those other vehicles. I have not only found my subaru very reliable and easy to work on (the only time it ever let me down was when I did something stupid and caused something to break :rolleyes:) but the most impressive thing was this. My old gf owned an '87 EA82 wagon that she ONLY had the oil changed/serviced before a big trip, and everytime I drove it and put gas into it (I always check the oil when gassing up) she was more often than not 1+ quarts low! The engine leaked oil, but other than that she almost never had anything done to it other than the timming belts! She gave away the car at about 180k and got a legacy and now regrets not keeping it. :burnout:I am a huge fan of simplicity and there is a certain elegance to it. I have weberized my ea81 motor, and have no intention of going back. The next thing I plan to do to the engine is a reseal and a supercharger :headbang:. I have never owned a car b4 that I get ppl I don't know and have never met b4 waving, giving me the "thumbs up" or cheering wildly with the :headbang:sign! :burnout::Flame:

And even with the "solid axle or nothing" crowd, I still get respect, if even if it's just a long stare or "omg that thing is still going?!" from the metal fab guys that I had build my skid plate (can't WAIT till I have all the toys to do it on my own) that were convinced of all these "problems" I was going to have with my lift,winch,snorkel, etc. :clap:

The Reason I drive a Subaru.

Because I do stupid things. And everytime I do a stupid thing I always say I wish I didn't just do that. And everytime I say I wish I didn't do that, the Suby starts right back up and seems to mock me for doubting its "ness".

Its just that, Subaru"ness". All subarus have it, this "ness", its just better is all.

I'd agree with the term "cult" being used to describe the folks of the USMB. Cults worship a certain item and shun all others, shun outsiders. Ask most of the folks in the off road section. They all tend to get hissy and stuff if a non-Subaru shows up there.

I've owned some 30 Subarus. I've lost count. I love the AWD. If Subaru didn't make AWD/4WD, I'd drive a honda or a toyota.

(I do have a Toyota for wheeling, it'll chew up the average highly modded, big tire wearing, lifted Soob and spit it out. And it's stock except for 33s and a 3 inch spring lift. Cost about as much to build a Soob.)

But I'll tell ya something I've aquired here at the USMB besides knowing terms like "clocked", "4X140", "topper", and "pitch stopper".

I have a place to stay in:

All over WA State

Oregon: Portland, Medford, Eugene

CA: Sacremento, San Diego, SF more

Idaho

Montana

Iowa

Nevada

Texas

Minnesota (I'm sure Numbchux'd put me up if I needed it :) )

Connecticut

Indiana (you still there Fox?)

Utah

Colorado

South Dakota

And maybe a few other States in a pinch.

I've met some 120+ USMB folks in person, done business with half of them, and broke bread with most of them. I've had maybe 15 different members stay at my house, probably 50 have been there at one time or another. I have 10 or more of their numbers in my celly on speed dial.

I'll be 40 next year. I've owned 2 Fords, 1 Chevy. No Dodges.

Wow,

This thread has seemed to hit a chord with so many people who have jumped in and added their comments. In the few hours since I first read this, I've been thinking about why people become enthused with anything. I admit I have also caught the bug and have very quickly spent more money and did more work on my Subaru's then I can justify. Why?

I think enthusiasm is contagious. Other people have a huge influence on what we think and do. It may have started out as a cheap car we picked up, but as soon as we start hanging around other Sube owners or reading the posts on this website, we develop the desire to do what they do or even try to do it better then the next person. Then, before we know it, we have gone way beyond what makes rational sense.

I think in some ways it is like a cult. We develop beliefs and defend our way of thinking beyond what is truly rational. To me that is what much of the fun is all about. It doesn't have to make sense. Subarus may not be better at anything, but that doesn't really matter to me. I enjoy thinking they are.

Rollie