Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuel Pump replacement for EA81 series

I found an 82 GL that I'm looking to pick up for $100. It needs a new fuel pump. No probem there, I have one from the 84 GL-10 parts car I recently got rid of. My question on the fuel pump is whether it's just plug and play or not? To I put it in there, attach the connectors and wores and then start the car? Or is there more to it than that? I remember using water pumps and how they have to be filled with water before you turn them on so that there's adequate pressure. Not sure what the process is with fuel pumps. What do I do with it?

Was the GL-10 turbo? If it were non-turbo, I dont see why it would'nt work...

from what i remember, carbs run on less than 8-9 psi, where as fuel injection runs off of 30-100psi depending on set ups,but for the ea82, the mpfi injectors run at 36psi, im not sure about the spfi though, but i would imagine that its not low pressure like a carbed system.

im sure someone with a bit more knowledge of the ea81 will be able to chime in sometime. i am still figuring out the ea81 myself.

Was the GL-10 turbo? If it were non-turbo, I dont see why it would'nt work...

I don't think it was turbo, but then, a bunch of compnents were already gone when I bought it. Anyone have a picture of a normal EA81 pump so I can try to match it?

the pump will be the same. on the gl10 its a carb pump mouned just behind the back wheel on a triangular plate

what dude said about too much pressure he mistook you for an ea82 with fuel injection(there were ea81 gl10's, yo!)

although on the 82 the fuel pump may be on the driver side firewall. the connectors may be different but the pump itslef will work

thanx for external fuel pumps!

gl10 pump will put out too much pressure if its going onto a carbed engine.

If its an EA81 GL-10, its most likely non-Turbo. Ergo, will have a carb pump and will work.

A quick way to see if the car was Turbo is to look at the dash. It'll have either a turbo light (if its digital) or a gauge (if its analog).

If its an EA81 GL-10, its most likely non-Turbo. Ergo, will have a carb pump and will work.

A quick way to see if the car was Turbo is to look at the dash. It'll have either a turbo light (if its digital) or a gauge (if its analog).

Does this look about right? I looked at a chiltons and the pump in the picture looked nothing like this. (I may be about to feel REALLY stupid) Is this the pump or did I miss it? If so, what does the fuel pump look like?

DSCN2736.jpg

The fuel pump is under the car, on the passenger side in front of the gas tank. It sits on its own little shelf.

How about on an EA82? Since I scrapped my 84 (And missed the fuel pump) I'll have to get it out of an 87 GL sitting at the JY. Nothing is too specific for me. I don't want to mess up again.;)

Ok, I forgot how much I had lowered that thing... I couldn't get my body under it for a decent shot, but here goes.

2007_07200001.jpg

If this was a better picture you'd see a slightly corroded version of what opelsuby posted. And maybe less of my face, lol.

And for reference, this is an ea81t fuel pump.

2007_07200005.jpg

Sweet. Thanks guys for all your help. These cars would be such a headache for me if it weren't for this board. Makes learning easy. :banana:

Edit: Got the pump out of the JY GL. Looks pretty good. Any way to test it without installing it on the car? And when I do put it on the car, do I just connect it and that's it? Just reverse the removal process?