Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The new H-6 timing gear as seen in "Drive"

I was just looking at the cut away view picture of the new Tribeca H-6 in Drive magazine and each camshaft has what appears to be a large weight on the front of each timing gear sprocket. One appears to be a two piece weight/damper.

I'm not an engineer, but it seems like that would add a LOT of rotational inertia to the engine and accellerate wear of the timing chain. Any thoughts?

Nathan

They are either a counterbalance to smooth out the engine, or part of the varible valve timing (which is more likely).

nipper

Have a link?

http://www.subarudrive.com/Summer07_2008tribeca.htm

Scroll down a ways and you'll see the cutaway view of the new H6. It's kind of small on the online version of the magazine.

Nathan

What is it with this 3 piece timing chain, just looks like a double chain.

AND WHY does subaru not sell these engines in europe. No 2.5turbo for outback only normal. And more combinations i have seen over there are not here. Ok ok we should get the diesel first though :grin: .

(still silently wishing could get an outback sport over here, but seems that will have to be done manually with forester struts, but again no junk yards with subies over here. They are taken apart and the componets are sold for near retail price :mad: )

What is it with this 3 piece timing chain, just looks like a double chain.

AND WHY does subaru not sell these engines in europe. No 2.5turbo for outback only normal. And more combinations i have seen over there are not here. Ok ok we should get the diesel first though :grin: .

(still silently wishing could get an outback sport over here, but seems that will have to be done manually with forester struts, but again no junk yards with subies over here. They are taken apart and the componets are sold for near retail price :mad: )

Double chain is a three peice timing chain I-I-I . three peices.

Europe has some very weird tax structures, and in general europeans arent the torque hungry HP maniacs that americans are. If no one wants it they wont sell it there. Remeber Subaru is a small mfg, with a tiny market in europe. They can't really afford to test and do everything they need to do to sell more then a few variations of any one car over in europe.

nipper

AND WHY does subaru not sell these engines in europe. No 2.5turbo for outback only normal. And more combinations i have seen over there are not here.

It used to be the other way around. From 1995 to 2001, there were no turbo models for N. America.

Plus there are no grey imports here.