Ultimate Subaru Message Board

project lil roo's facelift, and jump start

Rooinater

well i've been meaning to do it for awhile. i've had the olive drab paint sitting around for the last 6 months to a year. and after my college assesment tests i didn't have time to hit up pull-a-part for some much needed parts...

it didn't quite turn out perfect, but it's a start and a wheeler. got to go get 2 more cans to do the roof. olive drab will be the base coat, then some forest green, dark brown and black thrown in for good measure. then to fixing the running gear.

IMG_6157.jpg

IMG_6151.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

well got some work done this week. picked up "new" control arms from P-A-P, bushings were in a lot better condition. mine were toast. center metal on metal. sloppy steering. cut off the 1/4" steel skid plate on the control arms and got them welded to the new control arms. found out that the upper strut bushing was torn on the passenger strut. so found a replacement at P-A-P. another direct replacement EA82 adjustable. that's the 5th strut top i've torn in the last 7 years... time for limiting straps...

tomorrow, picking up another new shaft for the passenger side, and some header wrap so that the exhaust will quit overheating the shaft's boot and cracking it. also picking up the pwr steering rack. then it'll be good for a thursday test run at tahuya.

friday, it's time to replace the intermediate shaft's u-joints... saturday, with luck, eric's cabin!

some progress pics tomorrow.

hardest part, and why i keep refraining from selling is that this is my first car. she was mint when i first got her, hard to believe. she's gone through about 3 or 4 stages to get to this point.

I remember how bumemd you were to put it on its side while fighting with some girl way back.

Didn't it start as a DL?

sticker and registration says gl... but who knows. it was a 1980 1600 4wd. i converted it to a d/r... now it's a 1.8L ccr engine and 5 speed d/r to a nissan tcase....

so i got these new ball joints before i left arizona... and the boot isn't already installed. didn't want to go on and tore when i installed them... it's too small of a boot the seal won't even seal.