Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1984 Subaru 1600 1800 Factory Service Manual PDF Project?

Hey everyone,

Having had a number of smaller issues with my Brat to deal with lately (most recently, the blower motor not coming on when I turn the switch), I'm coming to discover that the information found in my Haynes manual and even Alldata (damn expensive software that pro mechanics use) is either incomplete or in the worst case scenario - Completely Wrong!

Having spent valuable time running around in frustrated circles using these publications, I have found that the solution typically comes after biting the bullet and getting my head around the more technical detail in my copy of the FSM (which came with the car).

Hey! A circuit diagram showing the correct wire colors, relay locations AND the 20A fuse I needed to check to get my blower working.

So this morning I began to imagine the frustration sube owners must feel when trying to troubleshoot problems (esp electrical) if they don't have the FSM for their car. "Share the wealth", that's what I say!

Considering the pages of my FSM are already falling out, I'm contemplating sacrificing my book in the name of scanned online information that we can all use!

I know there is an EA81 service manual already out there with the engine stuff in...but what about the rest???? Has anyone attempted such a mamoth quest before??? Is there likely to be a barrage of litigation following the hosting of an on-line copy somewhere we can all find it????

Opinions are welcomed and comtemplated before embarking on this voyage of scan-machine manotony....

Steve

I scanned in a 1983 FSM: http://mshoup.us/docs/fsm/

Not bad to do as long as you have an ADF on your scanner. Scanning page by page would be a royal PITA.

That's been up there for a few months, no litigation or anything like that. I doubt there would be any problems unless you started selling for money.

If you want to send the manual to me, I could scan it in for you using my work's ADF. This thing is quick :D

I scanned in a 1983 FSM: http://mshoup.us/docs/fsm/

Not bad to do as long as you have an ADF on your scanner. Scanning page by page would be a royal PITA.

That's been up there for a few months, no litigation or anything like that. I doubt there would be any problems unless you started selling for money.

If you want to send the manual to me, I could scan it in for you using my work's ADF. This thing is quick :D

Brill!

I'll check out yours right now...

Thanks for the ADF offer. I have one at work also so I was planning on firing that puppy up - even does the double sided - woo hoo! ;)

Do you want to host my '84 when I get it done?

Steve

• 4 years later...

Great ideas, I think it will help a lot of people using those haynes type books. I've have what I think is the full set (sections 1-6) for year 1985-(wagons and sedans specifically) the only difficulty may be the very, very long with many folds wiring diagrams at the back of of the second book. Also I have the 1985 1800 parts catalog. I would let you do the same if you all wanted. I don't have one of those scanners. Does it destroy the manuals to do the scanning you are talking about? Thanks Aaron near San Diego

Not my project, but I think it only covers EA82 service manual. Check it out though, because it may be on there. The thread I got the link from is at the top of the "Older Gen. of Subarus: 80's/XT/Loyale" page. it is labeled as an announcement for Endwrench article, which were articles written by Subaru for techs. Take a look there for things relating to EA81 engines. I really know nothing about these because I am on my first soob: 1991 Loyale EA82. I really wasn't looking for any EA81 stuff, but I thought I saw a link for one somewhere in there. I might recommend asking GD about one though, he seems like the go to guy on here.

• 5 months later...

i am currently undertaking scanning a complete volume of 1988 st FSM sections 1 thru 6 with a handheld scanner. I have scanned about 1500 npages page by page tyhis way. I am taking it a ste[p fuirter and using a text capture program to translate the volume to an actual web page html format that is searchable by web crawlers and displayed as a dynamic website. It is alot of work, since the text editor is not as precise, and i would have to capture each of the individual images top make them display properly as a on-line web page.

I will try to figure out a way to make the torubleshooting flow charts navigable by clicking yes or no as links to go to the next step in the procedure. It ios enough work not only to scan each page, but also to re-name each file to keep them organized. I am alnmost done with the capture process so that i can start making them into html pages.

http://jdfinley.com/file-downloads/

Has the following...

Subaru

Homebuilt Rotocraft Subaru Fuel Injection Article – December 1995 – PDF – 1.5 Mb

Subaru EA-81 Engine

Subaru EA-81 Parts Manual – ZIP/PDF – 4.5 Mb

Subaru EA-81 Service Manual – ZIP/PDF – 3.2 Mb

Subaru EA-81 Conversion Document – PDF – 1 Mb

Dual Ignition Conversion – PDF – 1.2 Mb

Subaru EA-82 Engine

Subaru EA-82 Service Manual – Part 1 – PDF – 5.2 Mb

Subaru EA-82 Service Manual – Part 2 – PDF – 4 Mb

Subaru EJ-22 Engine

Subaru SAE Boxer Document - PDF – 1.3 Mb

Subaru EJ-22 Parts Manual – ZIP/PDF – 4.5 Mb

Subaru EJ-22 Service Bulletins – ZIP/PDF – 3.5 Mb