Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ever heard of this?

jonb8

I was talking to an old timer tonight and he told me when he needed gear in his datsun in the (70's probably), he said he coupled another 4 speed tranny behind his 2wd tranny. My question is could you couple, say a toyota 4speed and transfer case in behind a D/R? As you can tell i'm having trouble finding a divorced T-case. JB

Yes this was somewhat common in the old days with model T Fords etc. I believe it was still done on a regular basis up until the 1960's for underpowered cars and trucks that the owners wished to overload instead of buying a big enough one for the job in the first place. This type of thing died out in the late 60's and early 70's when powerful V8 engines became commonplace. There are still a few double transmission "twin stick" class 8 trucks in use. There are even a few die hards who convert newer trucks to this abomination. I cannot imagine why anyone would use something like this when there are better choices available.

Oh, sorry, silly me, I temporarily forgot who I am talking to, A bunch of Subaru fans.

My Subaru is as stock as the day it left the factory, and I still love it! It even still has most of the original parts! :clap: I wish the air conditioning did not cost so much to fix, then it would be perfect.

Bill the Truckerman

yes, there are a few on here driving subies with a nissan t-case... do some searching and you'll find them... usually they're the monster rigs with solid axles... I think one person used 2 subie rears, 1 in the front...

those kinds of mods are for the very dedicated and experienced... I'm fine with a normal lift, big tires, and slow speeds... or an EJ swap... (:

--Spiffy

search for dual trannies on pirate4x4.com. there's always someone over there doing it on they're crawlers. seems more common in the yota minitrucks. I don't much see the point, I think dual cases would be much more effective, and far lighter and far smaller.

I've kept up with your build post, I just assumed you mated the ranger trans/transfer to the subie motor, cool. I'm just not having any luck finding a nissan transfer. My friends father in-laws got 2 of them and wont come off either, still looking, and looking, and looking aaaaaaaaaannnnnnnddddd