Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ever heard of this?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jonb8

jonb8

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • elizabeth

Posted 22 July 2007 - 12:19 AM

I was talking to an old timer tonight and he told me when he needed gear in his datsun in the (70's probably), he said he coupled another 4 speed tranny behind his 2wd tranny. My question is could you couple, say a toyota 4speed and transfer case in behind a D/R? As you can tell i'm having trouble finding a divorced T-case. JB

#2 Truckerman666

Truckerman666

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Tremonton, Ut

Posted 22 July 2007 - 01:08 AM

Yes this was somewhat common in the old days with model T Fords etc. I believe it was still done on a regular basis up until the 1960's for underpowered cars and trucks that the owners wished to overload instead of buying a big enough one for the job in the first place. This type of thing died out in the late 60's and early 70's when powerful V8 engines became commonplace. There are still a few double transmission "twin stick" class 8 trucks in use. There are even a few die hards who convert newer trucks to this abomination. I cannot imagine why anyone would use something like this when there are better choices available.

Oh, sorry, silly me, I temporarily forgot who I am talking to, A bunch of Subaru fans.

My Subaru is as stock as the day it left the factory, and I still love it! It even still has most of the original parts! :clap: I wish the air conditioning did not cost so much to fix, then it would be perfect.

Bill the Truckerman

#3 jonb8

jonb8

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • elizabeth

Posted 22 July 2007 - 10:34 AM

Thanks truckerman thats good to know information, maybe someday I'll put it to use, maybe not........

#4 Spiffy

Spiffy

this road's wide enough

• Members
  • 978 posts
  • Portland, OR

Posted 22 July 2007 - 01:08 PM

yes, there are a few on here driving subies with a nissan t-case... do some searching and you'll find them... usually they're the monster rigs with solid axles... I think one person used 2 subie rears, 1 in the front...

those kinds of mods are for the very dedicated and experienced... I'm fine with a normal lift, big tires, and slow speeds... or an EJ swap... (:

--Spiffy

#5 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,998 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 22 July 2007 - 02:07 PM

search for dual trannies on pirate4x4.com. there's always someone over there doing it on they're crawlers. seems more common in the yota minitrucks. I don't much see the point, I think dual cases would be much more effective, and far lighter and far smaller.

#6 Scott in Bellingham

Scott in Bellingham

Lets go wheelin!!

• Members
  • 3,636 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 22 July 2007 - 05:21 PM

Im runnibg a complete transmission with transfercase behind the stock subaru trans, in this rig, has very low gears, Posted Image

#7 jonb8

jonb8

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • elizabeth

Posted 22 July 2007 - 06:41 PM

I've kept up with your build post, I just assumed you mated the ranger trans/transfer to the subie motor, cool. I'm just not having any luck finding a nissan transfer. My friends father in-laws got 2 of them and wont come off either, still looking, and looking, and looking aaaaaaaaaannnnnnnddddd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users