Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

91 Loyale auto torq bind update

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ivantruckman

ivantruckman

4 inch lift

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • caro, MI.

Posted 24 July 2007 - 04:08 PM

wow ,got the car running today, everything seemed normal, started out in 1st gear, auto trans shifted to 2nd at about 7 mph. then bam... stupid car locked up, definitely not brakes.. checked it again, same thing. when ever the auto trans shifts into second gear, the trans Locke's up. if anyone has any ideas, please let me know..thanks in advance...Ivan oh by the way i still have the rear shaft removed, and the 4x4 seems to engage, i hear a slight thump when i turn the button on and off

#2 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,621 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 24 July 2007 - 08:47 PM

You need a transmission. What is happening is for some reason two gears (2nd and who knows) are both engaged at the same time. You cant do that..... the transmission locks up, and usually with a bang if the car is moving. I think all the playing with the car got them to release, thats why it was fine today.

nipper

PS - do you have reverse?
can you start off from 2nd?
Can you manually shift the car?

#3 ivantruckman

ivantruckman

4 inch lift

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • caro, MI.

Posted 25 July 2007 - 06:30 AM

i think nipper,your exactly right, I'm thinking it may be in the valve body. I'm waiting for a atsg transmission manual, it has all the necessary hydraulic flow charts that may assist me. or not , in either case ill have to pull it. I'm going to pull the trans pan and see if i can find any thing obvious. i was just wondering if this was a common problem . i have never owned a 4x4 loyal automatic before. thanks allot for the help. i will try to start up in reverse today, the gas is old and it doesn't want to run, will flush and refill the tank . new plugs and cap/rotor. etc

#4 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,621 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 25 July 2007 - 10:22 AM

i think nipper,your exactly right, I'm thinking it may be in the valve body. I'm waiting for a atsg transmission manual, it has all the necessary hydraulic flow charts that may assist me. or not , in either case ill have to pull it. I'm going to pull the trans pan and see if i can find any thing obvious. i was just wondering if this was a common problem . i have never owned a 4x4 loyal automatic before. thanks allot for the help. i will try to start up in reverse today, the gas is old and it doesn't want to run, will flush and refill the tank . new plugs and cap/rotor. etc

This is the first I heard of it in a subaru. Sometimes it happens in a manual (and easy to rectify). My sisters BMW had it happen 3 times in her new car (that was drive and reverse). In cars that are not computer controlled its extreemly rare, and i thought impossible. You may have a hard part failure that is causing this.

nipper

#5 ivantruckman

ivantruckman

4 inch lift

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • caro, MI.

Posted 25 July 2007 - 04:06 PM

i think so. its coming apart today. yippie, trans fluid down the neck in hot humid weather

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users