Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What's the Verdict on the new Subaru Clutches?

Guest rtp373

If you haven't followed a particular thread, which dates back a VERY long time regarding crappy clutches in newer Subaru's, check it out.

There are new parts available based on information posted. Before I have this done, has anyone else had their clutch replaced with the new parts (used starting on 2003 models)? Also, could you let me (us) know how the clutches are working out if you've got a 2003 model (all models with standard transmissions?)

RTP373

Guest cookie

and it is fine. Only has 2,500 mles on it at this point, but is much improved. Time will tell.

I have all the very latest parts including the last issued clutch disc.

Guest SonOfJaqen

Sorry I haven't followed the clutch thread to its entirety.

Are you saying that 03 models and newer have different clutches?

If so, my clutch on the 03 BAJA is doing fine at 5K.

Sorry, I reread the thread and see what is going on.

Do the 03's have this problem?

-S

Guest ferret

rtp, Dropped the car off Monday night, picked it up Tuesday about 4pm. My experience with this is just 2 days old, But it is MUCH better as I remember when taking delivery NEW, driving off the Dealers lot, then returning to IMMEDIATLY complain and then at every service since,

Peddle feel is lighter, engages sooner, and if you "pop" the clutch, the old one would slip then sort of engage never feeling positive. This one is a DEFINATE improvment. After driving standard shifts for over 30 yrs, and owning 5 Subarus since 1978, this WAS the Worst, and now I consider it "The Way It Should Have Been Since I Took Delivery.

Guest synapse79

just stick an ACT clutch in...

the stock clutch in my 98 impreza was worse than bad. Installing the ACT clutch was about the best thing ive done to the car. I would also recommend installing the STI motormounts at the same time, makes shifting feel much more positive and crisp. Its amazing the difference it makes just taking the power that is there and getting it to the ground better.

Guest kalinut

I've got an '03 OBS and I've been keeping my fingers crossed since buying it due to all the problems reported on message boards.

Just turned 6 months / 12K miles and no problems so far.

I actually like the clutch in my OBS better than the one on my '01 VW GTI -- engagement feel is more positive.

Guest DanMacCNY

I'm new here....How do I go back to read the thread?

I hate the clutch in my car (bought 08/2001) and get no satisfaction from the dealer. They act as if its "just the way they are." On a complain to the MYSubaru website, the reply avoids the question and refers me to the dealer.

And it does engage with a "slip and a grab".

Dan

Guest ferret

Dan,

Subyroo scanned the TSB into the following thread. When you open it, just point at the TSB with your mouse, do a single left mouse click, then a right click and Print it. Present it to Subaru Service and they Can't deny you. If you have a crappy dealer, go to another. It covers 99-02 models. That's what I did, and 7 days later, voila, New clutch, pressure plate and flywheel.

pub110.ezboard.com/fultim...7171.topic

Guest DanMacCNY

Ferret:

Many Thanx for this. This is exciting news!

Originally, I had a wiring harness problem that took 9 mo to fix. By the time that problem was fixed, I was worn out.

Having recovered my strength, I've wanted to tackle this and the cold idle problem that I've listed in a new post.

I'll make an appt with the dealer, PDQ!

(There are only 2 dealers in Syracuse, and each has given me lip service on this problem.)

Guest ferret

Dan, If I were you in Syracuse, I would drive the hr west to get to VanBortals in Victor, just East of Rochester where 495 splits off the Thruway. I travel from NJ to upstate 2 -3 times a month going thru Syracuse and I've stopped by VanBortals. They seem to care and are the Larget Subaru Dealer in volume. I stated in the past, Next Time I will travel the 5 hrs just to deal with them....Good luck...

Guest SonOfJaqen

Wow small world. I'm down near binghamton and have the great option of chossing between Benedicts in Norwich, Matthews in Vestal, or Five Star in Oneonta. I've heard bad things about all three!

-S

Guest ferret

My 78DL was from Minooka Motors just outside Scranton PA. Next 3 (82GL, 85GL wagon, 90 legacy LS) were from Liberty in Ordell NJ, this last (02 Forester)was from Ramsey NJ. Guess I've been lucky, All have had good service departments. ALSO all previous vehicles gave me well over 150K each in service with minimum repairs.

Guest PaganQWA

Ive talked to 2 people in #subaru that have had clutches replaced under warrenty for free on 2002 impreza RS models. One guy had NO problems getting the dealership to do it, just showed him a TSB and that was it. The other guy has fought with them for weeks and FINALLY got the regional manager to test drive it and confirm there was a problem. After that he now has it in the shop right now to get replaced under warrenty.

That's all I know really about this subject. Hope it helps someone get a new clutch :)

Thanks

Guest rcoaster

Actually, don't take the 490 exit to get to Van Bortel Subaru. Instead, take the Canadiagua exit. Turn right at the 2nd traffic light (McDonalds at this intersection), and Van Bortel is only 2 miles from the intersection. You will avoid going through town by taking this route. It's what I use when going to Van Bortel from Rochester.

Guest subeman90

I have 4k on my new clutch in my 02 OB and so far so good....

Just for the record....I used to complain about Lancaster Co. motors (lancaster PA) and I must say....I see a huge difference in how they handle themselves and the service I get is much better then the old days.

Just giving props where due.....

Matt

Guest subyroo

I am extremely happy with my clutch at the moment.

I have about 3,500 kms up now and it has yet to shudder or even feel like it was about too.

Just some info for any other Aussie's who drop in here from time to time, "THERE IS NO <strong>TSB</strong> OUT FOR CLUTCH SHUDDER PROBLEM" and that came from a dealer.:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Guest rtp373

My wife says to me tonight, "I have to make a confession, I've noticed the clutch shudder in the morning over the past several weeks."

Before it was the old eye roll and comments about me being anal-retentive over every little thing mechanical (well, I am an engineer, after all!) but guess what?! I have now have a staunch ally.

Guest Forester Dude

My clutch was replaced under warranty with part numbers completely different to those listed on Subyroo's TSB.

I have to say that it is a completely different car now. The clutch picks up sooner, but is more progressive than the bastard of old. The pedal is also much lighter.

When I took the mechanic out to demonstrate the problem, he had it picked within a minute and said the clutch needed replacing. The previous dealer said it was normal and "they all do it".

10 out of 10 to Bankstown Subaru for foresight and customer service. Zero to Tom Kerr Subaru at West Ryde for fabricating excuses to get out of doing any work:p

A thousand km later and it still feels the same. Time will tell;)