Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Do I need a special tool to install a CV boot?

Hi, plan on buying a used CV with a good boot. Now I am thinking I should replace the boots before I install the CV. So how do I do this? Oh and is $75 for a front right good cv and a auto tranny a good price? Local?

I am going to assume you are buying a "half-shaft", rather than a "CV", which is a single constant velocity joint.

is $75 for a front right good cv and a auto tranny a good price?

I would like to pay $20, but have paid up to $50, keeping in mind that a "core" is worth $10-20.

I would call around, the wrecker @ highway 25 in Oakville probably has what you are looking for, I have no idea of the price.

Boots should be soft enough to allow movement, without binding, the older the boot, the harder the plastic seems to get.

So, there are 2 boots, an inner and an outer, the outer CV joint is held onto the shaft with a pressure clip (you get a new one with a boot kit), to remove it you hold the shaft in a vise, and using a brass drift on the center bit that fits on the shaft, simply apply a hammer to the brass drift, pushing the joint off of the shaft (the boot has to be removed first). Now the inner joint is a different animal, cut the boot off, pull the joint apart, and the center is held on the shaft with a snap ring (you will need snap ring pliers), you get a new snap ring with a boot kit. Have plenty of rags handy, as this in one dirty job!

Boot kits seem to cost me $12 each.

You will need a tool to tighten the boot's band clamp, if you hold your mouth the right way you can use side cutters, I have a kind of "sideways" side cutter (an end cutter?) that I use.

Ok, so do the math, say you pay $75 for a half-shaft, $25 for 2 boots, you are at $100, and no warranty, check price on a re-built with a warranty, then decide.

You can call David @ Eurodrive and ask him how much to rebuild your CV shaft

http://www.euro-drive.com/

Maybe not having to buy a shaft at all, and maybe do it while you wait, these guys do good work.

buy a new axle, not worth the effort replacing the boot. it's a messy and can be a tricky job, particularly your first time. this is one area it's well worth it to just get a new axle.

go with MWE axles - well known and excellent reputation in the US. i imagine they'll ship international.

or check on GCK, they are available at various aftermarket stores. other than them i would avoid aftermarkets.

Typically yes you need a band clamp. Lisle makes a couple. There are some gm and other manuf specific types, and some use a ratchet. Also check out Band-It they make all kinds of tools and clamps for lots of applications including cv boots.

If you didn't buy the cv joint boot kit (which includes the grease), then you need cv joint grease. Redline cv-2 could be a good choice. Regular wheel bearing grease is not pure/refined enough for cv use.

Chances are, if he goes into ANY auto parts store in Canada, he is going to be sold a "Dynapak" boot kit. These lits include the boot, a retainer clip, grease, and clamps of a type that you hook together and then squeeze the collapseable section.

No Redline anything.............

The choices are a lot fewer/different up here.

Chances are, if he goes into ANY auto parts store in Canada, he is going to be sold a "Dynapak" boot kit. These lits include the boot, a retainer clip, grease, and clamps of a type that you hook together and then squeeze the collapseable section.

No Redline anything.............

The choices are a lot fewer/different up here.

Was looking at EMPI. Are all the boots usually good?? Looking at them here:

http://www.autopartsway.ca/autoparts/quote.cfm?ID=1993~K6010-181548~000578373~SU~LEG-4WD-001~CV+Boot+Kit

http://www.autopartsway.ca/autoparts/quote.cfm?ID=1993~K6010-182652~000578374~SU~LEG-4WD-001~CV+Boot+Kit

These boot kits ok?? One is inner and one is outer.

Forgot to add the CV is from a 91 SS.

These boot kits ok?? One is inner and one is outer.

As with anything, you gotta watch the cost, $13ea + shipping, or $26+$10?, $20?. let's call it $10, or $5 each, now the boot kits are $18 ea. I have no idea who you do business with up in Maple, but I'm almost certain you can get your boot kits from a "bricks and mortar" parts store for less than $18+tax. (I honestly pay $12 each here).

You have to watch your total, then figure out the best deal on this repair, If you pay $75 + tax for an axle and $36 + tax for two boots, a rebuilt axle (with a warranty) @ say $125-140 becomes "the deal".

...$75 for a front right good cv and a auto tranny a good price?

$75 for a front right good cv AND A auto tranny is a VERY good price!

If the tranny is good, I mean. Otherwise not so much. But not much goes wrong with auto trannys. And the work to replace it to find out if it is good is kind of a lot. If you have a dead tranny, it's a great deal wirth the try. Kind of heavy to ship if you sell it, and I wouldn't want to sell an unknown quality tranny locally for anything more than scrap value, and I am not allowed to have extra transmissions around the garage. New rules for not being a scrounge.

$75 for a front right good cv AND A auto tranny is a VERY good price!

If the tranny is good, I mean. Otherwise not so much. But not much goes wrong with auto trannys. And the work to replace it to find out if it is good is kind of a lot. If you have a dead tranny, it's a great deal wirth the try. Kind of heavy to ship if you sell it, and I wouldn't want to sell an unknown quality tranny locally for anything more than scrap value, and I am not allowed to have extra transmissions around the garage. New rules for not being a scrounge.

I just wanted it for the transfer case.

Auto, 5mt, 2wd, Turbo. If its from a legacy the axle will work. All the legacy axles have the same spline count(25) on the trans side and the same spline count at the hub end. And they are the same length. As long as its good, it'll do perfect for you.