Ultimate Subaru Message Board

All Japanese Classic car shows

There are two all Japanese Classic car shows that I know of now.

The largest has to be this one:

poster-JCCS07-web3.jpg

....And I have always wanted to go but it's about 3,000 miles away from NY.

However......

I just found out today that us easterners also have a venue to show our classic Japanese autombiles. Coming up this September 16th, is – Japanese Car Day - Sponsored by the DRONE (Datsun Roadster Owners of New England) Club and Lexus USA. It is held at the Larz Anderson Auto Museum in Brookline, MA. Go to: http://www.mot.org/Events/lawn.html .This is a lawn show outdoors in front of the museum. I have actually been there before for thir Mini and Micro car show. Take a look at the show field:

McLarens.jpg

This was obviously not taken on the Japanese car day, but you can see how beautiful the place is. There is even a small paved circular access road around the show field to cruise you car around so everyone can hear and see it the cars in motion. You can take people for rides too if you'd like. Sure beats a stationary show where the cars are silent! It's just $10 and that includes admission to the museum inside too. Food is available on site.

I'm going and I will bring my hotted up Datsun B210. wink.gif

Anyone interested in bringing out one of your early Subarus?

Sure looks like a great day. How receptive will they be of unrestored cars?

probably more so than the cops in grants pass, they kicked me out of the classic car cruise after a lap and a half. it was fun to freak out the people with the big money resto rods:grin:

-mike

Sure looks like a great day. How receptive will they be of unrestored cars?
I don't think they really care if your car is restored or not. If it's remotely presentable it will be fine. There were some fresh barn finds at the mini and micro car show and nobody minded at all. Seriously, I'm betting that early Subies will not be represented very well. I would love to see them in any condition. There will be plenty of the "popular" cars like 240Z's, Datsun Roadsters, 510's and such, but to me, the really desireable cars to see are the ones you don't see every day or at other shows, like early Subies, and cars like mine, a Datsun B210. People tended to use them up and dispose of them back in the day.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM tasty!

My '78 will have to do for now. Maybe my latest '78 but it's up in Mass. and unregistered. Can't wait to have my '73 Coupe looking like your B !

Mike,on a side note,I'm all hot for a Volvo P210,speaking of 210's. Just incase you see one around,keep it in mind,please.. If I don't find one worth messing with in a couple of years I'm going to build my own copy with more than likely a Subaru drivetrain.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM tasty!

My '78 will have to do for now. Maybe my latest '78 but it's up in Mass. and unregistered. Can't wait to have my '73 Coupe looking like your B !

Mike,on a side note,I'm all hot for a Volvo P210,speaking of 210's. Just incase you see one around,keep it in mind,please.. If I don't find one worth messing with in a couple of years I'm going to build my own copy with more than likely a Subaru drivetrain.

Will do. Boy you don't see those everyday! I have a friend that owns a nice original red P544, but the van model must be even more rare.

You've got a '73 Datsun 1200 coupe? :slobber:

Will do. Boy you don't see those everyday! I have a friend that owns a nice original red P544, but the van model must be even more rare.

You've got a '73 Datsun 1200 coupe? :slobber:

Nah,not that lucky. I have a '73 GL 1400 Subaru Coupe.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, sorry you guys were all so busy. This was a great show and it couldn't have been during a better time of year, or have had better weather. Unfortunately there wasn't a single early Subaru in attendance. Kind of a shame if you ask me. But Datsun guys were in luck, as there were quite a few Datsuns on hand. I only took a few pics, [mostly video] but here is a sampling for you all.

DSC04218-1.jpg

DSC04219-1.jpg

They had some Japanese exchange students there dressed in their native attire and they were demonstrating caligraphy for all who requested it. Many cars on the showfield had examples of their work on their windshields.

DSC04222-1.jpg

I asked a few of them to pose with me for the above picture.

DSC04216-1.jpg

Although I don't have a picture [yet], there was also a really neat Mazda REPU there. Don't worry, I didn't know what that meant either. It stands for Rotary Engine Pickup Truck. These rare Mazda's were very special for their time. Unlike the standard piston engine Mazda pickups, these were the "Sport" models. They had the 13B roatry engine, wider fender flares, factory tach, wood grain dash, bucket seats, etc. Here's a bried description of them:

"Many people remember the small pickups of the 1970's. Pickups like the Chevy LUV, Ford Courier, Toyota and Datsun pickups... but did you know that Mazda made a unique Rotary Powered pickup?! Yes. Known as the Rotary PickUp, or REPU (Pronounced: Rhee-Phoo) for short, this pickup ran circles around the competition. With short gears, and a torquey 1.3 L 13b, the truck was by far the fastest in its class. The limited number of REPUs imported into the US makes the value much more than the others of this same era. With a gross payload capacity of 1400 lbs, not only could you haul a bunch of stuff around, you could just plain haul rump roast! The 2 rotor 13b 4-port engine gave more grunt than the 1.1 liter 12a. With a rear axle ratio of 4.625, the truck can fly, but that did limit the top speed."

Also, there were really nice examples of early RX7's, one of which had 19,000 original miles! There was a really clean Toyota Corolla SR5 Lift Back there too. The gent came all the way from Long Island [including a ferry ride] to show it.

IMG_0069.jpg

Then there was this car that won people's choice for the show. It was an early Toyota Corona. This thing was mint and super rare.

All show participants received a goodie bag containing free samples of car waxes, polishes, an event dash plaque, coupons for a free bottle of Sta-Bil gas stabilizer, maps pens, etc. A very nice touch by the organizers.

Yes there were all sorts of great newer Japanese cars there too, but in this post I am focusing on the old school cars I saw, because this is the Subaru Historic forum after all. I hope you all will join us next year as this show is continually growing each year. :)

• 1 year later...

I'm at a loss as to where all of the early Subarus are. Take a look at the pictures from this fantastic all Japanese car show from South Plainfield. NJ on Labor Day weekend. It was mainly a Toyota show, but Mazdas, Datsuns, Mitsubishis, Hondas, were all welcome and showed in great numbers.

I never knew there were this many fantastic examples of early Japanese cars in the east! But of all 200 cars that showed up, did you notice that there wasn't a single Subie there? Why is this? :-\

I'm at a loss as to where all of the early Subarus are. Take a look at the pictures from this fantastic all Japanese car show from South Plainfield. NJ on Labor Day weekend. It was mainly a Toyota show, but Mazdas, Datsuns, Mitsubishis, Hondas, were all welcome and showed in great numbers.

I never knew there were this many fantastic examples of early Japanese cars in the east! But of all 200 cars that showed up, did you notice that there wasn't a single Subie there? Why is this? :-\

Well I'm going to try and change that when I finish my FF-1. But i'll only be taking it to west coast shows.