Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Has anyone here ever used the hub tamer on a Subaru? I seen one I think it was on the Northern internet tool site but I did not see Subaru listed on their list of cars it would work on. Does this tool come with a good set of instructions. And where is a good place to buy this tool.

I haven't used mine on our Subaru yet, but I am sure it will do a great job. The instruction manual is surprisingly complete. It even lists Subaru in it, but I think only the front.

The best price I found was at http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net. Now they send me a catalog every couple of months and it has tons of cool pro automotive tools in it. At least I can dream.

99obw, I went at the Toolswarehouse page and there is also another seemingly comparable tool set called «HubShark»

Did you have the opportunity to compare both and if so what is the advantage of the HubTamer compared to the HubsharK?

Prices are almost identical.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Originally posted by frag

99obw, I went at the Toolswarehouse page and there is also another seemingly comparable tool set called «HubShark»

Did you have the opportunity to compare both and if so what is the advantage of the HubTamer compared to the HubsharK?

Prices are almost identical.

Thanks in advance for the info.

It looks like the HubShark is just a puller type tool with some adapters, while the Hub Tamer is a far more complete set, unless the photo of the Hub Shark is not showing all of the parts. The Hub Tamer certainly looks to be far more substantial.

I am in the market for an inexpensive puller tool that will do front and rear bearings on just the Subaru Legacy/Impreza/SVX, but so far I have had any success in finding one. Nor have I had any success in locating one for rent.

I am looking for two tools, one to pull the hub out of the bearing, and another to pull the bearing out of the steering knuckle (this tool should also be able to pull the new bearing in and hub into the bearing as well). I have old Subaru bearing parts that work excptionally well to install bearings with a floor standing hydraulic press, and these should work with screw type pullers as well.

I anyone knows of some inexpensive tools to do the job, it would be of great help to all of use to know about them!!

If the other posters are like me, we don't need the best quality tools for daily usage, just tools that may be used a max of a dozen or so times (a dozen uses should get anyone through 3 or more Subaru's)

I didn't really compare much, but it looks like the hub tamer is more complete. I like OTC tools as well. I have never before spent that much money on tools for a single purpose, but a past experience with a front wheel bearing made doing even just the rears on the subaru very undesirable to me. I feel a little guilty about it, can you tell? I will likely use the hub tamer countless times for subarus and other makes. I hope to maybe do a couple of wheel bearing jobs in my shop for strangers to offset the cost. Of course friends/family get all work for free. No takers yet.