Ultimate Subaru Message Board

fuel pump WTF? Now even bigger WTF

HELP!!!!!!!

1991 loyale

Died all of a sudden. Checked spark, it's good. Checked for fuel at filter, no pressure because fuel pump isn't running. Pulled fuel pump and tested it, and it works just fine. Whipped out the Fluke and tested the power to the fuel pump. When the key is first turned on, it reads about ten volts, then drops to zero after about one second. When cranking, no voltage appears.

What demons have possessed this car? Could it be the fuel pump relay? The computer?

I've got spares of both, but they are 800 miles away, so I need to find out what's wrong.

Thanks caleb. I don't think I'll have a chance to check it out until next monday, but I'll PM you if I need one (it's not terribly important that the car is running right now, and I'll be making the trip for Christmas anyway. I may still take you up on that though, because I might need the car running sooner than that.)

if you get vols and it quits, sounds lile the relay is working.

when you turn the key to run position, it kicks the pump on for a few seconds.

after that, the fuel pump comes on when sensing a signal from the rotating distributor.

so you will want to check out where the signal from the dist goes, and what it goes to to kick the fuel pump on

Now I'm REALLY confused.

Today I put the pump back on, and just for s***s and giggles turned the key, and it started right up! Runs fine ever since.

I'm gonna go check the fuel pump relay, and test the voltage at the pump again to try to figure out what was going wrong. Maybe Alice was just not happy with me last week for some reason.