Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anybody with a GLF? Anybody in Dallas or close?

Just dying to find enthusiasts & junk-yard lovers around DFW. Also looking for folks who have a GLF (anywhere).

Apparently, it is a rather rare "breed" -- I have seen only other 2 ever since I own mine: one is my parts car (a friend of mine, good soul, spotted it rotting in someone's yard and told me -- I got the whole car for $75!), and the other one I saw on the road, it was in a poor shape, filled with trash bags and driven by a bozo who (by his looks) did not care what he drives. I think, he might have had pot in his bags, because he got nervous when I started circling around him, trying to look at the car. I don't blame him, I wasn't driving the Subaru that day, so he would never guess my interest.

Ira,I denied your PM by accident,I swear...:eek: so send one again or email me.I can take a pic of the wiring diagram or give you the info you want.The manual is right here at home now.

I sold my '82 GLF to Andrew(WagonsOnly).It's a really cool car and I wish I could have kept it for at least a while.Hopefully Andrew will care for it and it'll be there to admire.Gotta be the last one in CT,maybe all of New England and the northeast still on the road.

Good luck with yours.Only problem is keeping all the young girls from hounding you.Chicks love GLF hardtops! :brow:

This is Andrew, dittoing everything Paul (moosens) just said...

Unfortunately the GLF is out of commission until spring. It needs a LOT of front-end work--CVJs, wheel bearings, ball joints, brakes--and the barn isn't heated. So my mom is going to be driving my XT until then (unless I can find an automatic silver '89 4X4 3-door in good shape, with around 150K on it, locally--hint hint) and the GLF will be in storage.

If she makes me put it up for sale, think $10,000 is reasonable?

I love her car, I'd hate to see it go. What are the specs on yours? Options, color, year, etc.

Hey, Andrew.

All in all, I am just curious who else has a GLF -- as long as they don't plan to send it to the meeting with a crusher:)

Man, everything you say you need to replace on your GLF sounds so familiar! It's letterally "been there done that": by now I can replace a CV in probably 20 minutes with my eyes closed, it's real easy. I have also replaced ball joints, braKes, tie-rod ends... You name it.

But I hate replacing wheel-bearings. Always worry to get dirt in there; I had to do it on both front wheels, and on one side I ended up just swapping the whole steering knuckle from my parts GLF a month later. I found out that the best way to do it without buying special tools is to get a piece of plumbing pipe about the size of the outer ring of the bearing (a bit smaller maybe) -- helps to put the bearing in the hub without damaging it. They are a few cents. Forgot what they call those bits, straight adapters maybe... And make sure they sell you the right wheel seals (only one of 3 chanes has the right one, others try to sell you the wrong one).

The good thing about CVs, balljoints, etc. is that you buy it once and then it's under life-time warranty. Until the parts store decides to discontinue them, that is.

As to my GLF, it is a 1982 2-door hardtop. Originally it was kind of beige with smelly interior and missing door glass on driver's side. (My friend bought it hoping to use the engine in his ultralight, didn't, and it sat in his yard for 4 years). I have redone the interior my way and painted the body grass-green. It's far from perfect yet, definitely not professional, but it's probably one of a kind now and I love it. I'm still looking for reasonably priced front windshield (mine are cracked both on my car and parts car).

Oh, forgot about the options: originally it was all-manual and basic. Now it has power windows; I'm hoping to swap cruise control and power steering from the parts car, too.

Neat! Thanks for the advice, I'll be needing it...I'm really hoping that my mother decides to keep it. It's white, blue interior, with power windows, cruise, power steering, air, and sunroof--basically fully loaded. Unfortunately it also has an auto tranny (she can't drive a stick, so that was a requirement). If she decides to junk it I have to (a) sell it fast or (B) hide it faster. I'm banking on B.

Wow, sounds like real nice car.

Personally, I am stuck on striktly manual green cars with beige/cream intereor, but it would be a real shame to let yours go! Well, unless you find a nice home and a caring owner for it, he-he.

I couldn't offer to buy it, even if I had the money! It would be a crime to part it out, and I can't stand automatics, don't really like them and don't trust them: a nice 5 speed would last much longer with good maintenance. It's significant, since both cars I've got so far are pretty much life-time buddies for me, because I customize them so much. Unless something horribly irrecoverable happens, can't imagine letting them go.

One more thing: if you want some more stories about experiences of a clumsy mechanic, or have any questions feel free to e-mail me any time or when the time comes to deal with CVs and the rest. Brake calipers can also be annoying: you have to SCREW them in. Get an adapter, if you don't have one! I have successfully reduced the "bumps" in which adapter fits almost to zero with plyers and hammer, and then found out that they sell $4-5 adaptor for the ratchet for this exact purpose.