Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HG change in Ej swaped rig?

Is it possible to change the headgaskets on an EJ22 that is currently sitting in a 1987 GL wagon without pulling the motor?On an EA82 it was doable but difficult because it had studs.Does the Ej22 have these studs?Or should I just pull the motor?

Can I actally clean the surfaces enough in the car so the headgaskets don't fail aqain ever?The heads will be clean(I'll have them flattened) but can I get enough off the block so it doesn't blow a headgasket for another 100K.Ive changed a headgasket in a EA81 and even had the heads flattened and it failed again less than 100 miles latter.So Im leary about doing it in car..

All you need to really worry about is getting all the gasket material removed from the block itself. The heads should not be smooth, so have them check ed and resurfaced if needed. Maybe even take some medium grit sandpaper(200-400 grit) and lightly rough up the surface of the block.

O/T, did you follow the retorque sequence on the ea81 motor?

I've never seen one blow a h/g twice in my life if it's done correctly.