Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HG change in Ej swaped rig?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Uberoo

Uberoo

Subaru Wheeler

• Members
  • 3,418 posts
  • lewiston,ID

Posted 31 July 2007 - 04:35 PM

Is it possible to change the headgaskets on an EJ22 that is currently sitting in a 1987 GL wagon without pulling the motor?On an EA82 it was doable but difficult because it had studs.Does the Ej22 have these studs?Or should I just pull the motor?

#2 86BRATMAN

86BRATMAN

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,334 posts
  • Tazewell Virginia

Posted 01 August 2007 - 12:59 AM

Ej's have bolts like an ea82. And are narrower by a touch. You should have no trouble changing the hg's in car.

#3 Uberoo

Uberoo

Subaru Wheeler

• Members
  • 3,418 posts
  • lewiston,ID

Posted 01 August 2007 - 01:55 AM

Can I actally clean the surfaces enough in the car so the headgaskets don't fail aqain ever?The heads will be clean(I'll have them flattened) but can I get enough off the block so it doesn't blow a headgasket for another 100K.Ive changed a headgasket in a EA81 and even had the heads flattened and it failed again less than 100 miles latter.So Im leary about doing it in car..

#4 86BRATMAN

86BRATMAN

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,334 posts
  • Tazewell Virginia

Posted 01 August 2007 - 02:00 AM

All you need to really worry about is getting all the gasket material removed from the block itself. The heads should not be smooth, so have them check ed and resurfaced if needed. Maybe even take some medium grit sandpaper(200-400 grit) and lightly rough up the surface of the block.

O/T, did you follow the retorque sequence on the ea81 motor?
I've never seen one blow a h/g twice in my life if it's done correctly.

#5 Uberoo

Uberoo

Subaru Wheeler

• Members
  • 3,418 posts
  • lewiston,ID

Posted 01 August 2007 - 02:13 AM

yes I followed the retorque correctly .it just seems there was a bit of gasket near the studs that I couldnt get...

#6 86BRATMAN

86BRATMAN

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,334 posts
  • Tazewell Virginia

Posted 01 August 2007 - 02:16 AM

You shouldn't have that issue with the ej. But if it makes you feel more comfortable with your work, go ahead and pull the motor. Piece of mind is priceless.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users