Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Toyo Open Country A/T's

WRX2FFU

I got some new tires today. First road impressions were AWESOME.

I had 215/75/15 BFG A/T's before. I went with the same size for the Toyo's.

I have to admit they do not look as agressive as the BFG's. Once i rolled out of the lot i was totally sold. My vibration/shaking steering wheel at speed was completely gone. These are A LOT quieter on the road than the BFG's as well.The car also feels way smoother over bumps and a lot more stable in the corners.

I really like these.

leg001Medium.jpg

leg002Medium.jpg

leg003Medium.jpg

leg004Medium.jpg

So, they are great road tires but how well will they do offroad?

I had to test em' a little. As far as i can tell they are better than the BFG's on dry offroad conditions. I climed hills i would have never been able to with the BFG's. The Toyo's just dug in where the BFG's would have just spun. In mud they seem about the same. It has been really dry here so not much mud to be had. After we get some rain i will test them again. As far as snow? Well i'll find out. The guy who recomended them has a 2wd full size pickup with the Toyo's and he said that they were great in the snow.

Anyway i got 4 out the door for $350. They are 215/75/15. The price was a little salty but not bad considering the BFG's i was gonna put back would have been over $400 + mounting and tax.

Just some info.

OH YEAH!

leg006Medium.jpg

leg007Medium.jpg

Thanks for the comments guys. I have trouble on deciding on tires as well.

I figured they would be a good road set of tires and i am looking at the tsl's for offroad of course. I just did not wnat to run tsl's on the street. I put way too many miles on this to burn up a set of nice MT's on pavement. Plus i am pretty sure the tsl's suck in the snow on the street and i drive this in the winter too. I am hoping with proper rotation and changing to an MT for offroad they should last a while.

used'em on the fourrunner for years.did pretty good for us everywhere we went.nuthin hard core though.......plenty of back road get ya to that ************in sweet camping spot kinda tire.just take it easy and they won't spin.they will grip if you let some air out.......

used'em on the fourrunner for years.did pretty good for us everywhere we went.nuthin hard core though.......plenty of back road get ya to that ************in sweet camping spot kinda tire.just take it easy and they won't spin.they will grip if you let some air out.......

I am really happy with them. I think i made a good choice. I have gotten lucky with both sets of tires that i have bought this year. I got hankook rs2 245/40/17's for the wrx and i love them too.

I'll try airing down a bit when i go wheeling. I ran them at 35psi which is the max on these. I was surprised it was so low. The BFG's were 50psi.

I can't really get too hardcore with this rig anyway. It does pretty well but is mildly built, and lifted. Someday i want to do more to it and twin stick it but it's gonna take a lot of fab and time.