Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Car accident Stories

Care to share the story? Thats looks pretty serious..

I've been in one accident, all by my self on the way back from work a few months ago. Rain + General Carelessness + multiple possible excuses + Rock wall.

Took the kinda wrong line around a corner understeered once hitting corrogations in the road (due to the line I took), snapped off the throttle not long into the understeer, at which point the back stepped out, silly amounts of oversteer and complete opposite lock to no avail (I'm not saying I'm the king of oversteer or anything here either.)

But yeah, sliding sideways at that point, I think at this point I hit the anchors and the clutch, remember looking right and seeing empty road, and straight ahead a rock wall slowly getting closer, nicked the front end, which spun the car 180*, so stopped pointing away from the wall with the back end probably pretty close to the wall.

Cursed a few times (understatement), looked round, hit the gas (its still going wtf?!), back in first and pretty much didn't stop except to pour rainwater through the engine, as the rad was burst.

Did get out to pick up my bumper, numberplate, and kick one or two rocks off the road.

Chassis just kinda popped apart up front due to rust.

This picture was prior to strapping the front of the car to a powerpole and tugging backwards(and sideways)

P1030382.jpg

P1030384.jpg

Not a very exciting story. In comparison to others. But probably worth telling.

I was moving to Cali when about Fillmore or about 1 1/2 hrs from Salt Lake this happened. All of us me, my mother, my step dad and his brother all of us had been up for 18+ hours getting stuff ready to go. When we got to Provo about 20mi outside of Salt Lake he did't want to drive anymore because he was tired. Me being more trustworthy of a driver(his brother had a hit and run and suspened linces) I took over and kept going but being up for so long I started falling asleep at the wheel(yes I know very bad thing) when I hit the wake up strips and over corrected sending me to the other side than over correcting yet again but clipped the edge of the road and sent it flying. The car did 1 end over end as in back end flying over the front then front over the back onto to it's wheels and started barrel rolling a highway patrol officer and an ambulance were coming the other way from me and saw this all happen. The officer stopped counting the rolls after 7 but he said is was probally about a 12 or so. So they got us the the hospital about 4 miles away from where it happened. I was still concious when they got to us but my step dad's borther was out cold so he was made priorty over me. But later my concusion was raised due to symptons later in the week. Both of us had concusions, cuts and brusies. He got a broken arm and myself ended up with a broken jaw and being wired shut for a month oh that was joyus fun. Also took out a 1/4 mile of fencing with that jeep.

Also wanted to add only reason why both of us are still alive is because of our seat belts, so do buckle up.

I had my 1998 legacy. The car had no personailty so it never got a name.

It was a stormy afternoon, typical summer thunderstorms. I was between storms sitting at a red light in NJ in theleft hand lane. The light had been red for a few seconds. I looked in my rear view mirror as I tend to when stopped. This dodge stratus was coming up fast behind me. At some point i knew he wasnt going to stop. I sat on the horn, went through the red light, and STOOD on the gass pedal. The cross traffic stopped, as if they saw what was going to happen.

No car can move fast enough when someone is coming up at 55mph and decides he's not going to stop.

I maybe got up to all of 5-7mph before impact. The best we can figure is that if i just sat there i would have been dead. When you floor a car, the nose goes up, the tail goes down. The stratus hit the trunk, and not the bumper. If he hit the bumper, well, i dont want to talk about it.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showgallery.php?cat=932

You cant see it well, but the entire car is buckled.

Two back surgeries, one nervous breakdown, and tons of physical therapy i am still here. i will never be 100% again, but ill take 85-90%.

Which leads to another question, which i have been meaning to ask someone, but i dont like getting emotional here...

Its been 2 years since the accident. The physical injuriries are now between me and God as to how they heal, as Dr's have said there is nothing more they can do. i think my brain has filed this as the immediate health emergency is dealt with. Lawyers are done, so are insurance fights, and im on disability.

Now all of a suddeni am having problems driving in traffic. i am stressing out. Trucks dont bother me. Stop and go makes me nervous. Super highways are ok, two or three lane highways freak me out.

Anyone ever have a delayed reaction like this after a major car accident?

nipper

After my accident I had a problem with highways but after a little bit on them I was fine.

I guess i should add this was the third or 4th time ive been rear ended. The other times resulted in no real damage to the cars, and whiplash to me.

nipper

Well, you all know about Vicki, or should by now lol so I won't reiterate that one...

Few years back was the accident with the Taurus... Butt Monkey made an Illegal left turn without checking both lanes of traffic, and *BAM* T-Boned him, destroying his F-150 and somehow totalling out my car (stupid Geico). Dumb airbags didn't go off, but that migh have been because I managed to stand up on the brake pedal, and probably was too slow for them to actuate. Got a nice bump/burn on my forhead because of the steering wheel. The truck was a retirement present from his wife...

Then there was a strange one a few years before that in NY, I backed up to let an 18 wheeler turn onto the road (red light). I forgot to take it out of reverse and some old lady got really close behind me (one of the few things that did work on the car was all of the lights, including back up lights) and instead of going forward when the light changed, I backed (slowly) into her car. She backed up, drove around me and flipped me the bird!

There's more, but I don't think that they really count since I wasn't yet of age to drive (2x's on a school bus, 2x's with family)

As to fear of driving on certain roads afterwards, I never liked driving where the Taurus was hit after that. I've only been by where Vicki died twice so far, and honestly I cried when I stopped to take the pictures... but other than that, I have no problems driving on that highway. Now I-5 when it was packed but still 55+, that scared the bejebus outa me. I'm talking about when its 4+ lanes each way, Seattle/Tacoma, Portland, LA, etc...

I had my 1998 legacy. The car had no personailty so it never got a name.

It was a stormy afternoon, typical summer thunderstorms. I was between storms sitting at a red light in NJ in theleft hand lane. The light had been red for a few seconds. I looked in my rear view mirror as I tend to when stopped. This dodge stratus was coming up fast behind me. At some point i knew he wasnt going to stop. I sat on the horn, went through the red light, and STOOD on the gass pedal. The cross traffic stopped, as if they saw what was going to happen.

No car can move fast enough when someone is coming up at 55mph and decides he's not going to stop.

I maybe got up to all of 5-7mph before impact. The best we can figure is that if i just sat there i would have been dead. When you floor a car, the nose goes up, the tail goes down. The stratus hit the trunk, and not the bumper. If he hit the bumper, well, i dont want to talk about it.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showgallery.php?cat=932

You cant see it well, but the entire car is buckled.

Two back surgeries, one nervous breakdown, and tons of physical therapy i am still here. i will never be 100% again, but ill take 85-90%.

Which leads to another question, which i have been meaning to ask someone, but i dont like getting emotional here...

Its been 2 years since the accident. The physical injuriries are now between me and God as to how they heal, as Dr's have said there is nothing more they can do. i think my brain has filed this as the immediate health emergency is dealt with. Lawyers are done, so are insurance fights, and im on disability.

Now all of a suddeni am having problems driving in traffic. i am stressing out. Trucks dont bother me. Stop and go makes me nervous. Super highways are ok, two or three lane highways freak me out.

Anyone ever have a delayed reaction like this after a major car accident?

nipper

Have you seen a therapist? Not the physical type, you know what I mean.

Sometimes they can actually help. What your suffering from is "Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome". The same thing that soldiers get when they come back from combat. There are ways to deal with it, I've had to more than once. Fear is a mind killer. If you let it get a foot hold, your going to have to work real hard to defeat it.

Oh yeah, I grew up in SoCal and learned how to drive on the freeways there.