Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So Blu is still in major surgery. The Alied Armament Lift kit is being installed, along with 4 struts and an axle.

The hardware goes straight in. The shop needed to modify the radiator hoses, as the kit drops the engine 2 1/2 inches. The shift cable has to be adjusted. Otherwise no real surprises.

nipper

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm cheating. Since Blu needed struts, a wheel alighnment and an axle, and i dont have a paved driveway, i'm letting my shop (who is adventurous) do it. This is there first lift, they usually lower cars when requested.

nipper

Cool. Maybe they would be willing to take pics as they go? Is Blu going to get an updated name such as 'mean Blu' after the work is complete? :)

i was thinking 'Roid Blu or Roid Rage :)

ONe thing i dont remeber about the allied kit is if there is a carrier bearing extension. I was looking at the scorpian kit, pretty close to the same, but they list a carrier bearing extension.

nipper

When Blu threw a rod in CA, i wasnt nervous about it, just had it fixed, no issues.

Here i am sitting in my house, blu is 1 mile away, and i have this HUGE knot in my stomach worrying about my car.

I was sort of hoping mtnbob would be the first guiny pig, not me.

nipper

hehe yes I meant I don't know much about lift kits, but it seems allied is mentioned often and the kits look sturdy and thorough. Wow some of their weapons replicas are pretty impressive too. How about mounting one of those on the roof rack to go with the new name? :)

launcher1.jpg

I worked for a defense contractor in the 1980's. I had the 1988 gl hatchback. This was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy before the present paranoia.

We built missel launchers, bomb racks, and sonar systems. Defense contrators will sometimes share dummy weapons. We were in college point queens, and had to get a dummy missle ASAP to suffolk county, about 30 miles away.

The traffic people were all busy, and the delivery trucks were out.

Ever see a 1988 GL hatch with a 10 foot long dummy missle on the roof?

too bad it was before digital cameras.

We tried getting it in the car, but we were afraid the missle or the car would be damaged. So we borrowed somones roof rack and strapped it to my roof.

Oddly i had no problem with traffic that day.

nipper

How big did you go?

er um isnt that getting personal?

hehehe

Just the allied armament kit, 2.5 " put that with a height adjustable seat and im good. If im too low in a seat i have a tough time getting up after a while. Any extra height helps lots

nipper

Just came back from the shop (god i love those guys, they arent mad at me yet).

With the Allied lift kit the factory airbox on the engine does not fit properly. You need a cold air induction system. Any recomendations?

The dogbone motor mount is not as beefy as i thought it was, this has to be modified by 2 1/2 inches. The shop is going to do this.

The rear wheels will rub the struts at full extension. This is most likely not an issue in real life.

The carrier bearing does not get moved. From looking at the driveshaft angles, it looks like this wont matter.

My transmission cbale and bracket snapped. It looks like it was rusted solid, and just didnt survive the surgery. They ordered a new cable and are fixing the bracket.

They are not sure if they can fully alighn the rear wheels. Right now it doesnt look like they will sit flat, but then again the car hasnt touched ground yet. That may settle when they move it to alighn it.

They have more of a concern about the front end needing a camber kit. They MAY not need a kit, but they arent sure, they said its really close.

They had to match up radiator hoses.

The engine does sit lower, but i wonder if that will make spark plug changes easier or harder.

So i need recomendations on a camber kit for a 1997 outback, a frsh air induction kit that WONT foul up my electronics, and a dog bone mount.

thank you

nipper

I got some of these camber bolts from Summit but haven't used them yet. They're Ingalls IEC-I-81260 14mm, supposed to be good for +/- 2 degrees of camber adjustment (I think that's if you use their eccentric bolts in both the upper and lower hole).

edit: It seems like these would also work to make the rear camber adjustable, if your strut/shock is the style that uses bolts, not that double wishbone thing on newer models.

I got some of these camber bolts from Summit but haven't used them yet. They're Ingalls IEC-I-81260 14mm, supposed to be good for +/- 2 degrees of camber adjustment (I think that's if you use their eccentric bolts in both the upper and lower hole).

edit: It seems like these would also work to make the rear camber adjustable, if your strut/shock is the style that uses bolts, not that double wishbone thing on newer models.

http://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/INT999013.htm

I found this. I have an email into them asking some questions. I like the looks of the kit.

I think this has everything i need

nipper

Hm...that INT999013 kit does have lots of parts! Summit has that part number too but I think Summit's description is wrong: they list it as just eccentric bolts.

Does he look meaner?

zzz

Thats why i dropped an email, to see what comes in the kit. I dont want to spend 30.00 for something i can get on ebay for 5.00.

Well lets put it this way, my shop said i need more aggressive tires now :)

They are going to give me a sweet price on the work. We havent discussed it yet, but he said not to be scared.

I think he looks meaner :)

nipper